Camping on waterways in WA

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 11:00
ThreadID: 127304 Views:2760 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
we were at Australind the other day and were told by people in a motor home they had been moved on by a Parks Ranger for camping on a estuary bank where there were no signs and they had camped there some time ago along with others.

The Rangers reason was that there is now a law in WA that it is illegal to camp in (?) proximity to any water way,lagoon, lake etc.

Does anyone know anymore about this.?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 23:15

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 23:15
Hi Spirit Gypsys

No specific mention of waterways in these regulations, however individual Shires who are usually the controlling body for crown land have differing attitudes to campers, with some having blanket bans and others happy to allow campers. It is mainly coastal Shires who are preventing camping anywhere, and they have had a history of squatters and shack dwellers.

So long as it is not in or close to an urban area, or not in a conservation or nature reserve, i would camp along a river and have done so many times. Along rivers in the mid to north of the state, riversides are popular spots for overnight or a day or two. Some have been closed down because of mess and inappropriate toileting. Do you know where they were camped?


"Extract from the Caravan Parks and Campinggrounds Regulations 1997
(Applies to all localities within the State of Western Australia)

Part 2 – Caravanning and Camping Generally (as amended)
A person may camp:

1.for up to 3 nights in any period of 28 consecutive days on land which he or she owns or has a legal right to occupy, and may camp for longer than 3 nights on such land if he or she has written approval under sub-regulation (2) and is complying with that approval;
2.for up to 24 consecutive hours in a caravan or other vehicle on a road side rest area;
3.for up to 24 consecutive hours in a caravan or other vehicle on a road reserve in an emergency, unless, unless to do so would cause a hazard to other road users or contravene any other written law with respect to the use of the road reserve;
4.on any land which is:
i.held by a State instrumentality in freehold or leasehold; or
ii.dedicated, reserved, or set apart under the Land Administration Act 1997 or any other written law, and placed under the care, control or management of a State instrumentality, in accordance with the permission of that instrumentality; or
5.on any unallocated Crown land or unmanaged reserve, in accordance with the permission of the Minister within the meaning of the Land Administration Act 1997, or a person authorised by the Minister to give permission under this paragraph."


Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 582301

Our Sponsors