Need a camera for rear of van - not a reversing type though

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 10, 2011 at 04:08
ThreadID: 127315 Views:7832 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy all,

I put a reversing camera on my van, but what I really wanted, was a camera that let me see what was approaching me from behind on the highway.

The reversing camera was extremelly wide angle and this meant that cars approaching on the highway, were not visible until they are right up my clacker.

I guess I need a narrower angle camera for this job - can anybody suggest one they might have installed and are happy with for this purpose.

Thanks a lot,

Willie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Apr 10, 2011 at 07:02

Sunday, Apr 10, 2011 at 07:02
Why not ask Sound In Motion for advice.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 582332

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, Apr 10, 2011 at 08:12

Sunday, Apr 10, 2011 at 08:12
Hi Willie

Our first very cheap ones from eBay from Hong Kong had excellent distance vision - I have no idea what angle lens they had. We abandoned them more because of the home done wiring, and they used to get moisture in the lens. They also had good night vision. The we got one on line from Brash Imports Brash Imports- still Chinese made, but shop is in Australia and he was good to deal with, but the 92º camera should have been a good dual purpose, but it is not good for rear view. Others have had good distance vision with 92º so maybe ours was mis-labelled. Look for anything less than this eg 69º. There is also Polaris , and no doubt any number more of on line sources.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 582333

Reply By: Scowndrels - Monday, Apr 11, 2011 at 06:09

Monday, Apr 11, 2011 at 06:09
If you are thinking of doing this instead of mirrors and before you go to the trouble, have you checked the road laws for the states that you are travelling through?
AnswerID: 582334

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Apr 11, 2011 at 09:18

Monday, Apr 11, 2011 at 09:18
Hi Scoundrels

You still need mirrors that meet the requirements; road rules are fairly uniform on this even if worded in different ways. From WA regulations: "Ensure that your car is fitted with good extension mirrors so you can see clearly behind you". However the rear view camera can give you an even better view adding to the safety of towing. Having a rear view camera in Tasmania was invaluable.

When we changed from Patrol to F250, even without the extension mirrors the rear view was better than with the Patrol with extensions, however we still fitted with the extension mirrors and now rarely turn the camera on. The camera is useless in the cloud of dust behind the caravan on dirt roads anyway.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 853484

Reply By: Scowndrels - Monday, Apr 11, 2011 at 19:12

Monday, Apr 11, 2011 at 19:12
While posed as a question, that was my point.
AnswerID: 582335

Reply By: Willie - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 05:12

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 05:12
I have a good set of extension mirrors - I am interested in upgrading my rear vision with a good camera as Mrs Chook has done.
Willie.
AnswerID: 582336

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 21:36

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 21:36
Hi Willie
I have only had a little to do with miniturised cameras, primarily for seeking problems down bore holes etc.
The things I have noticed that may be of help to you, is try getting a change over lens of more suitable angle for your existing camera, as it should be considerably cheeper than a new camera complete. The other point is when the new lense is installed it is possible to not have it properly seated and this directly affects the vision result. Make sure it is correctly seated before you tighten the securing screw. If there is no screw a very small dob of nail polish on the end of the thread closest to the lens should stop the lense moving on corrogates.
Consult SIM, one of the groups supporters, they may be able tohelp you out.
Cheers
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 582337

Follow Up By: Willie - Friday, Apr 15, 2011 at 00:34

Friday, Apr 15, 2011 at 00:34
OK, thanks Uncle. Willie.
FollowupID: 853485

Our Sponsors