Outcome,,,Brunswick Diesels V8 Conversion.

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 11:04
ThreadID: 127322 Views:3624 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
In response to the several member messages and a general follow-up
Thank You all.
This was a serious issue, not only for us but possibly many others as these conversions by this company are quite common.
There have been equally positive and negative responses.

Monday 11th Aparil 2pm we received a positive outcome to the situation.

We lodged a complaint by email immediately on Fri, 8th to the W.A. Consumer Protection requesting an urgent investigation .
We were phoned by them that day with an explanation of procedures and an assurance it would be looked into ASAP.
We emailed further details,Sun. night.

Mon. morn 10am we again approached Brunswick Diesels and were told by Greg Jones (the principal) he had been in contact with the C.P and he was not worried about the issue and would wait the outcome.
We obtained the CP contact name and phone no from him and rang ourselves but the man was out of the office.

1pm We got his return call and he questioned me for 15 minutes or so, mostly confirming our written submissions.
He did tell me that B/D had made a grave mistake right at the very start in not telling us that if costs were to exceed a ? agreed amount then we would have to pay any excess.
(this is a bit complicated and involves returning the vehicle to us in it's pre inspection condition then requesting part payment)
Instead B/D went ahead and ordered the repairs then demanded we pay for them or part of.
This is separate to the assurance on Tues 5th after B/D had received the rebuilders report that it was a full warranty claim and we had nothing to pay,
then they hit with the $4,000 or no vehicle deal on Thurs. 7th.

2pm we got a call from the C P man to tell us our vehicle was being fitted with the newly rebuilt motor and would be ready in 3 days at NO COST to us.

The only issue was that we would have to accept the (truly) Legal situation that the warranty was still dated from the original sale date.
B/D had offered to start a new warranty for $2,000-
We refused that option. we still have 6,000ks and 6 months on this one

Our son has since told us of a little known clause in the warranty laws that a warranty claim can be made at any time "within the reasonable expected life" of the product. He has used it succesfully twice on a troublesome motor vehicle.

So Yes, in this case the State Consumer Protection did their job promptly and very thoroughly.
We did provide them with well documented factual information.
We had diary entrys of complaints and bankcard records of purchases but were not asked to provide them as it turned out.

We are still out of pocket by 8 weeks of van park fees, and 8 weeks of probable work or gold prospecting and ???? greyer hairs.
We are not a great deal wiser as we have been thru this sort of thing many times before. C'mon Universe----- we don't really need this lesson again....................
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Spydor - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 19:28

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 19:28
Congratulations.At least your problem had a happy outcome. I wonder if the ouycome would have been different if you had not been so particular about keeping a record of events, "ect". I must admit, my record keeping is almost non exsistant. Looks like i might have to change my ways !!!!
Good luck for the future & safe travels.
Cheers Spydor & Robyn
Spydor
Everybody makes me happy! Some when they arrive, Some when they leave !!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 582364

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 21:21

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 21:21
Good news, i'm interested in knowing how BD reacted and whether they were pleasent & professional with the outcome.

I have never heard of a warranty that stipulates a value on repairs, thats news to me, was the motor a brand new or rebuilt model?
AnswerID: 582365

Reply By: Bushtucker Man - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 08:34

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 08:34
Hi John & Roslyn,

Appears you had a good result after all, I suppose you are off to warmer climes up North, is the job still waiting for you????

Cheers
AnswerID: 582366

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 09:33

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 09:33
Congratulations on getting some form of justice at last. May it be all smooth sailing from here on.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 582367

Follow Up By: Spirit Gypsys - Friday, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:31

Friday, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:31
The finale to this issue is that we picked up the Troopy today, Thursday 14th .
Complete with a (very meticulously) reconditioned Chev 6.5L V8.
There was many, many apologies from Brunswick Diesels for the whole debacle.
Although there is only 4,000ks of "warranty" left , we are very much assured by B/D that we will "be looked after" for a great deal longer than that.
The good news is that it runs like it never did before, not from the after the first 100 klm. No more high pyro temps, no clouds of black smoke, we can now converse normally above 1500 rpm, and it pulls like a tractor,
hopefully the fuel consumption improves too.

At last it seems we have the tow truck we spent so much $ trying to get.

Happy travelling to you all,
May you always have a tail wind.

FollowupID: 853504

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Apr 16, 2011 at 07:56

Saturday, Apr 16, 2011 at 07:56
"At last it seems we have the tow truck we spent so much $ trying to get."

With a bottom line like that, maybe it was worth all the angst and added costs. Maybe the fuel consumption won't improve - but that is always a trade off against power and being able to tow a heavy van.

Cheers

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 853505

Our Sponsors