Telstra Elite® Mobile Wi-Fi Modem

Submitted: Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 17:00
ThreadID: 127369 Views:7403 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Is anybody using this new gadget.

ZTE MF60 Telstra EliteC/ Pre-Paid Mobile Wi-Fi Modem.
Blue for postpaid and White for prepaid.

Seems the bees knees for mobile broadband with provision for external antennae and WiFi for wireless connexion. Power supplied from a USB socket.

You can get 12gb prepaid for 12 months with carryover.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kenmarg - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 21:04

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 21:04
hi ern. i have the white pre paid unit. i bought in bunbury wa, in 2010. i mounted a external antennae on the bracket on the winguard tv antennae. and i can say that i have had very good reception,with this set up. regards ken
AnswerID: 582466

Follow Up By:- Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 17:16

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 17:16
Thanks Ken.
Will pick one up this week. On another forum it has good feedback.

As a matter of interest the number of signal bars is not a good indication of signal quality.

It's similar to the satellite signal strength on a satellite receiver where the signal quality is the critical number. So in some instances a one bar signal may be better than a two bar signal.....wierd huh.......it has to do with the transmission of digital signals distinct from analog signals.
FollowupID: 853549

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 17:23

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 17:23
Here's a very good informative article if you want to build your own NextG yagi antenna. It also contains useful technical info if you are that way inclined.

http://www.tigereye.net.au/vk4ion/nextg_yagi.html

AnswerID: 582467

Reply By: BTMTS - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 03:22

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 03:22
Folks
I now have a MF60 connected to the SIM supplied 7.6dbi Laser aerial via a RFShop patch lead "FME Plug to TS9 Plug, RG174, 300mm", I was a bit iffy about the patch lead as whilst it should have worked with the MF60 there was no guarantee. However it works superbly and so far we have had excellent Next G coverage all the way from Nambour to Oodlawirra (SA) every time we have stopped in out of town free camps, although I have to admit we are on the "main road".
Setup of the modem was simple and so far it has done everything I expected without fuss.
Regards
Peter

PS My thanks to Ern for mentioning this device here, until I read his post I was hesitating about a fixed data plan with the large Telstra modem/router, which is not such good value for occasional travellers (like us) as a pre-paid option.
AnswerID: 582468

Our Sponsors