Chevy Canopy question re strengthening for boat loader

Submitted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 06:01
ThreadID: 127397 Views:3014 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, has anybody who has a chevy had their canopy strengthened to accept a boat loader, Trying to find someone around the Gympie area before we pick up the chevy. Apparently the one Performax use to recommend has changed ownership and they can no longer recommend their services.

Any ideas anyone

Teresa
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Flavs - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 22:02

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 22:02
Hi Teresa,
I bought a Rhino system from ARB that has supports through to the floor. I don't have a boat loader, just two Hobies on top. I installed it myself.
I will be back in the Gympie area in about a week if you would like to have a look at it.

Regards
Noel

Noel & Denise
Website Manager
Life Member

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 582552

Follow Up By: B & T with BT - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 22:19

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 22:19
Many thanks Noel, we are in Sydney and wont be picking up the chev for about 5 weeks, just to need to get the strengthening organised prior to the canopy being fitted so we have been told, but thanks for your kind offer.

Teresa
FollowupID: 853585

Reply By: Gone Bush - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 00:57

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 00:57
Just curious Teresa,

what prompted you to abandon the 200 Series and gor for the Chev?

I know some people who are thinking of doing the opposite.

Is the Chev a Supercab? I see there is a 2011 F350 Supercab on Carpoint (in Melbourne, American Performance). They are, apparently, only 80cm longer than the 200.

AnswerID: 582553

Follow Up By: B & T with BT - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 01:45

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 01:45
Hello Stephen, No.1 reason, weight of BT. Our BT empty goes 3010kg according to the weigh bridge docket. We have added a toolbox (with associated fittings 56kg included in that weight. By the time we load her up for a 2 week holiday and only fill two water tanks, we are right on our limit, if not over. Bryn said he never felt completely safe towing with the cruiser, although it towed it well, he was concerned about stopping if somebody did something stupid that he would not be able to correct it. Our chevy is a 2011 crewcab with canopy and yes it is 80cm longer and 90mm wider. Bryn also wants a boat loader and tinnie on top which was not achievable with the Landcruiser and still be legal. It was not a decision made lightly as we had spent considerable money on setting the cruiser up the way we wanted, but we thought hey with the specials Performax had on this last week (see their site on specials) and the time delay on new Toyotas coming in to the country now would be the right time to sell.
Teresa
FollowupID: 853586

Follow Up By: Gone Bush - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 03:17

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 03:17
Yes, I'd love to see a hydraulic disc brake setup on the BT. A friend has just taken delivery of a Spinifex with that brake system. Very nice. Everything else about it is very nice too.

Just my opinion, but I reckon the off road van manufacturer hierarchy at the moment is:

BT
Spinifex
and grouped together a long way down the list:
Kedron, Trakmaster, Phoenix.

Not a time for any of them to rest on their laurels.

FollowupID: 853587

Reply By: BTRACK22 - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 23:18

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 23:18
Hello Teresa

I have had a Custom Boat Loader fitted to my F350 which has a fibreglass "Snugtop" canopy fitted. The internal bar work for the canopy was done by the Custom Boat Loader people as part of the fitting of the boat loader itself. All the work was done at the same time and not prior to the fitting of the canopy.

I was also lead to believe by the vehicle supplier that the internal bar work needed to be fitted prior to the canopy being installed but certainly in the case of the Custom Boat Loader this is not the case. I would check with the provider of the boat loader you are intending to purchase and see what is really required.

Lance
AnswerID: 582554

Our Sponsors