Preventing stainless steel bucket from getting blackened

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 04:19
ThreadID: 127454 Views:3031 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Anyone

I have read and heard that there is something you can do to a stainless steel bucket before putting it on an open fire to help prevent it from staining black permanently - it will of course go black on the fire but after (whatever you do) it will wash off as clean as before.

Would appreciate if anyone out there has the answer.

Regards

Margaret
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 09:15

Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 09:15
Hi Margaret

When camping with the Girl Guides, we used to coat the outsides of the open fire cookware with Gumption - a sort of gritty cleaning paste. I don't know if you can get it now. Trusol was another similar substance, and one my father always used to wash greasy hands with before coming inside. This washed off the cookware fairly readily as saved a lot of scrubbing.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 582686

Reply By: The Tower Trackers - Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 18:32

Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 18:32
Hi Motherhen
Many thanks for your reply to my query. Yes they do still make gumption and I have some so will give it a try.
Thanks again for your help

Regards
margaret
AnswerID: 582687

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Friday, Jul 01, 2011 at 03:06

Friday, Jul 01, 2011 at 03:06
We have always cooked over coals raked out from the fire - very much easier to regulate the heat and much less 'sooting' You can even use radiant heat reflected onto the side of the cooking container from the main fire - ideal for boiling water etc

Cheers John
AnswerID: 582688

Reply By: Innkeepers - Saturday, Jul 02, 2011 at 17:26

Saturday, Jul 02, 2011 at 17:26
Hi Margaret,

We've used ordinary dishwashing liquid wiped over the outside of the saucepan/frypan etc before sitting on the coals.

After use the black simply washes off the surface with a scourer sponge in water.
Hope this helps

Cheers
Rick & Julie
AnswerID: 582689

Our Sponsors