Road Calliope to Monto

Submitted: Friday, Jul 08, 2011 at 00:09
ThreadID: 127467 Views:3739 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can someone give me an idea of the road from Calliope to Monto via Many Peaks.
I understand it is steep and dirt in places, however is it ok for the Chev & BT (22')?

Or is it better to go back via Biloela?
Appreciate first-hand or local knowledge of this area.

thanks
Noel & Denise
Noel & Denise
Website Manager
Life Member

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cargra - Friday, Jul 08, 2011 at 17:05

Friday, Jul 08, 2011 at 17:05
We have camped at the Boynedale bush camp which I believe is the back of the
Awonga dam and were told by another vanner there that the road over Many Peaks is very very steep and they had a frightening experience when they stalled going up and had trouble stopping the backward slide.
I am sorry I haven't first hand experience to offer as we took their advice and went through Bilo.
I would add that they were in a much smaller outfit than us.
You maybe wise to unhitch and have a recce. Interested to hear what you decide/fins out.

cheers graham
AnswerID: 582746

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jul 08, 2011 at 18:18

Friday, Jul 08, 2011 at 18:18
You will have no problems. The range section at the Monto end is a fair climb though short and is sealed. There is about 20km of gravel.

A few kms is narrow so be aware.

There is a NOT SUITABLE FOR CARAVANS sign at the Monto end. I find this signage strange as it has no mention of trucks and busses so presumably they do use it.....you can work that one out????

We travelled Monto-Calliope recently and it is a nice drive. We did camp one night on the road and a heavy vehicle(semi) headed south towards Monto.

So goforit.............................plenty of places to bush camp along the way.
AnswerID: 582747

Reply By: Frank Aus - Sunday, Jul 10, 2011 at 20:37

Sunday, Jul 10, 2011 at 20:37
Noel and Denise, Let us know how you get on as i am from Biloela and people have asked before and i have never travelled that road.
regards
Frank
AnswerID: 582748

Follow Up By: Flavs - Monday, Jul 11, 2011 at 06:37

Monday, Jul 11, 2011 at 06:37
thanks Ern, Graham & Frank
I have spoken to a local "AUBS" a soon to be BT owner who dropped in to see us and was very generous with his time & info, I also spoke to the rangers from Gladstone water who control the camp area. Both have said that we could manage the climb, however Paul (aubs) said to use low range as it is quite steep. The steep section is sealed. A couple of log trucks do us the road so the suggestion was to notify with UHF as to being on the road etc.

We probably won't go that way as yet as we do want to go a bit further north (and don't need to go south at this stage) to Emerald & Clermont, may try some fossicking in those areas.

regards
Noel & Denise
Noel & Denise
Website Manager
Life Member

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 853677

Reply By: Tassie Bushies - Saturday, Jul 30, 2011 at 02:05

Saturday, Jul 30, 2011 at 02:05
Hi Noel & Denise,
This may be a bit late for you?
We drove Monto to Calliope, in other words down the hill, with the f250 & 20 BT a few yrs back. It is a lovely drive if you don't meet a truck coming the other way!!!!!!!!!! (we didn't) as for about 2 to 3 km there is nowhere to pass INCLUDING THE STEEP BIT.
There was one blind corner we just got around without trying to back it up on the steep bit.
Yes there is a sign saying it is not suitable for Car & Van which I agree with, as a car would be to light to hold a van going down the bank.
Regards Peter.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 582749

Our Sponsors