Rudall River NP

Submitted: Friday, Jul 08, 2011 at 06:20
ThreadID: 127469 Views:6401 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning to cross the Gary Junction Road from east to west in August this year. Have any members visited Rudall NP? I'm interested on comments about the access relative to the beauty of the park.
Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Jul 08, 2011 at 10:38

Friday, Jul 08, 2011 at 10:38
Hi Mike, i thought about this when we planning our west to east trip across the Gary Junction, but to get into the park to see the sights such as desert queen baths involves going to the south side of the park - quite a distance out of our way, and not country for the caravan which would have to be parked somewhere. When crossing the park via the Punmu Road you will be on the northern end, and will see little but the salt pan Lake Dora.

My 2009 travelogues for that section crossing the northern end of the Rudall River (Karlamilyi) National Park is loaded, but the full trip is not yet finalised. The section Marble Bar to the Northern Territory border is a far as i have loaded. It is a great trip. The Northern Territory side is particularly scenic. Lots of Len Beadell history and markers too.Travelogues on Australia So Much to See

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 582756

Reply By: Spirit Gypsys - Saturday, Jul 09, 2011 at 08:59

Saturday, Jul 09, 2011 at 08:59
Hi, We're currently working in the Newman ( now kalgans Rest) van park and have recently talked to a few people who have been out to Rudall NP
Seems like the main north-south road thru would be dubious even for a BT and as per the other post definitley not to the best bits which after the last wet are even rougher with 1metre washouts and scrub right over the road.
Actually it has not been reccomended as a single vehicle trip even for the well equpped and experienced.
we will get out there when it warms up a bit but if the tracks aren't fixed and there is little likelihood of that this year, we will probably find someone else to go with.
AnswerID: 582757

Reply By: Desert Dreamers - Saturday, Jul 09, 2011 at 09:21

Saturday, Jul 09, 2011 at 09:21
Thanks Motherhen and Spirit Gypsys
I certainly appreciate your comments as these assist us in our planning.
We will have two other couples with us and all of us enjoy traveling in the deserts. However from your comments we would need to park the campers and BT and even then it could be quite a struggle. Given the distances we will probably give it a miss this time. We are looking forward to Carawine Gorge and spending a few weeks in the Pilbara.
Cheers
Mike
AnswerID: 582758

Reply By: Spirit Gypsys - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 09:46

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 09:46
Hi Mike, Just spoke to people who came thru Carrawine and around to Nullagine in a 22' kedron off roader, (nice high rig) they said it was no problems except slow as the dips and gullys were 1st gear.
that was between rains here but i don't think there has been so much out there.
the Newman Nullagine road could be a bit messy now after the rain 2 days ago as there are a lot mines off it now down this end.
but then thats a good reason to keep the graders on it.

have a great trip
John
AnswerID: 582759

Our Sponsors