A new member of the good ship Utopia

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 02:01
ThreadID: 127499 Views:6364 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Having travelled some 6,000km from Melbourne to Broome in the Good Ship Utopia (our 21' BT), my wife gave birth to a little boy a couple of weeks ago in the Broome Hospital. Due to the circumstances and location of the little gypsy boy's birth he has been named Kimberley Utopia Swedosh. Bedding down for a few months in Broome until he's more settled and we're all ready to go again. I'd say we'll be back on the road at the end of August and will be tempted by the Gibb River Road. Interested in any views on taking a baby up there and also in hearing from anybody who is likely to be doing the trip around that time frame.

If you're interested in our story so far, check out my blog atMaking it up as I go along.

Regards and Happy Travels,
Mr. Sweedy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Theywent Thataway - Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 17:08

Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 17:08
This is AWESOME news!! Having "unconventionally" raised 4 children ourselves, may we congratulate and encourage you whole-heartedly! It is a beautiful life.

Love his name, too!

Hope to cross paths one day soon.

Maz (& Dave)
the scruB ark...on The Way

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Fiamma Carry Bike for sale

AnswerID: 582826

Follow Up By: Mr Sweedy - Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 02:24

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 02:24
Thanks Maz for your congratulations and support.

Cheers, Greg
FollowupID: 853719

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Friday, Jul 22, 2011 at 19:16

Friday, Jul 22, 2011 at 19:16
I am sure Kimberley will travel like a trouper - given sufficient milk and cuddles. We took our babies up through the Kalahari Desert and into the remote Okavango Delta in NW Botswana about 40 years ago and they thrived on it.

Broome would certainly beat Melbourne at any time - but particularly so at this time of year.

Enjoy

John

AnswerID: 582827

Follow Up By: Mr Sweedy - Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 02:27

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 02:27
Thanks John, always good to hear that you're not absolutely crazy from somebody else who has done it! And yes, happy to be in Broome rather than Melbourne at this time of the year.
Cheers, Greg
FollowupID: 853720

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Jul 22, 2011 at 20:16

Friday, Jul 22, 2011 at 20:16
Congratulations to you both on Kimberley's arrival. An appropriate name considering the location of his birth and even more so when you plan to travel the Gibbs River Road.

There shouldn't be any problems taking him into that area and it isn't too far between station homesteads where they can call for help in the unlikely event of someone requiring medical assistance.

Just remember to stock up on all the things that mum and bubs might require as there is not much available between Broome and Kununurra.

Enjoy your travels.

It is a pity that you are not closer to the Muster location as all the grandmas & pars would spoil the little fellow rotten.

Brian & Margaret
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 582828

Follow Up By: Mr Sweedy - Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 02:29

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 02:29
Thanks Brian and Margaret for your words of encouragement and advice. Heading up the Gibb River Rd in a couple of weeks, so starting to get excited now.
Cheers, Greg
FollowupID: 853721

Our Sponsors