GPS ON PAD TYPE COMPUTER

Submitted: Friday, Jul 22, 2011 at 00:13
ThreadID: 127502 Views:8782 Replies:14 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know if GPS software can be loaded onto one of these newfangled pad gadgets like iPad.

If it could be bluetoothed to a GPS receiver on the dash it would be the bees knees I would think.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Jul 22, 2011 at 02:39

Friday, Jul 22, 2011 at 02:39
Ernie,

The iPad and the iPhone both come with a built-in GPS and preloaded mapping of the world. There are a number of other map applications that can be purchased and downloaded via the Apple iTunes store. You do not require a separate GPS receiver and Blue tooth to navigate with iPad or iPhone.

Once purchased most applications are available for use on both the iPhone and the iPad.

There are 1894 Navigation Applications listed. Many are not in English and are for specific countries and others are for finding fuel stations etc.

Some of the mapping Apps available are,

Australia- offline map with direct U. (FREE)
PD Maps Worldwide edition (FREE)
GPS HD MotionX (PAY FOR)
Mud Map
VMS.
MetroView Australia GPS Navigation

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 582840

Follow Up By:- Friday, Jul 22, 2011 at 03:13

Friday, Jul 22, 2011 at 03:13
Thanks for that Brian however...

I am more interested if topo maps with say Oziexplorer that type of thing.
Also I'm not sure how an iPad would go in a moving vehicle where the antenna should be on the dash somewhere.
FollowupID: 853727

Reply By: Motley - Friday, Jul 22, 2011 at 03:41

Friday, Jul 22, 2011 at 03:41
Hi Ern,

Currently in WA and have been traveling with an iPad2. The GPS is very impressive - can be in caravan, just resting on the seat of the car and it gets a VERY accurate location. It uses Google maps and whilst you haven't got the detail of survey or topo maps, it's pretty good. Certainly great for distance calculation from say Current Location to a possible camp spot. Not sure how it all happens. May be something to do with a combination of GPS receiver and 3G? I think you only get the GPS capability if you order the 3G version.

I also have a Hema navigator HN5i and use OziExplorer on the PC to set waypoints and routes and then download to the Hema. I understand that OziExplorere have stated that as soon as their Android version of the software is stable they will start work on an iPad version. Well the Android version is now available in beta and if I was Hema I'd be very afraid!

Pete
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

AnswerID: 582841

Reply By: Two Doo - Friday, Jul 22, 2011 at 21:01

Friday, Jul 22, 2011 at 21:01
Greetings all, does the iPad have provision for an external sensor connection, like the ones we all use on our roof/snorkel?
Or does it not need this even in the remote parts?
Kindest Regards, Warwick
AnswerID: 582842

Reply By: Motley - Friday, Jul 22, 2011 at 21:13

Friday, Jul 22, 2011 at 21:13
Our experience to date has been that it doesn't need an eternal GPS sensor. It works fine resting on the car seat and also inside the van! The downside is that for it to be meaningful, you need a 3G connection so it can download the relevant part of Google Maps for your location.

So it seems capable of functioning as a GPS device without an external sensor but the limitation at the moment is the interaction with Google maps. If OziExplorer do as they say they will then you will be able to load your maps onto the device, presumably via iTunes as files and then the GPS will access the locally stored maps.
Motley

AnswerID: 582843

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 01:30

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 01:30
To answer the first part of the question that Motley answered, there are not any USB ports or provision for external antennas on the iPad.

Also the iPhone 4 has the same mapping functions as the iPad so you can use either device.

If you have an iPhone with a data package, then you can set up a WiFi Hotspot with your phone and use the phone as a modem.
I have mine set up so that when I connect the iPhone to Computer by cable it can use the iPhone as a modem, but I think that it can also be done by Bluetooth between iPhone and iPad or computer.

Brian

FollowupID: 853728

Reply By: grumpyolephartz - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 03:31

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 03:31
Two things to think about with your choice if you have an iPad 1 for instance. The iPad with the 3g capability has a better internal GPS than the non-3g one and can work without using the 3g antennas. The wifi alone iPad (non 3g) needs the wirelss signal through the router to work properly. No towers and signal through your router, it won't function well. I can't speak for other brands and their capability. I expect the iPad 2 has stepped up somewhat.

Memory Map is another mapping software package that Hema has off road maps for, but as a system, I don't particularly like it. I use OzExplorer and OziCE in the dash.

Bluetooth GPS, I haven't hear of working with an iPad
AnswerID: 582844

Reply By: Innkeepers - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2011 at 22:49

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2011 at 22:49
Hi Ern & All interested..... I have downloaded the Hema Nav App to my Ipad 2 at a cost of $10.49 US from the App Store, and it comes with all of USA maps which is useless to me unless I choose to travel there in the future.

Then, I hit the local button on the app and it found I was in OZ and then I hit more maps and all types and I then downloaded the Hema Central Australia maps and Great Desert Tracks Maps and also the Westprint Outback Tracks maps...all for a price I had to create an account and pay for the dowwloads.

Having done that, they work a treat.

There is more info on the mechanics of it here Hema Mobile Apps

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Rick
AnswerID: 582845

Reply By: Motley - Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 22:26

Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 22:26
Rick,

After reading your post, I downloaded the Hema Nav App (USA Road Atlas) and purchased the WA State Map as that is where we are travelling at the moment. Everything worked fine until we travelled out to Mt Augustus with no 3G service. The App could not get a GPS fix. The location indicator (circle with cross hairs) stayed grey. I left the iPad sitting on the bonnet of the car for and hour and no fix.

Got back to Carnarvon and 3G service and boom! we get a GPS fix.

I thought the GPS was independent of the 3G service although you only get GPS on an iPad with 3G.

What's your experience been?

Any others with experience with this App on an iPad?

Ta.
Motley

AnswerID: 582846

Reply By: Sawtybt - Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 01:54

Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 01:54
Hope the following may be of some help.

VMS4x4 now have a IPAD APP which includes over 40 regional touring maps by Gregory’s UBD & the award winning iTOPO 4x4 topographic map collection for offroad tracks. Size is 1.18gb and $199.00

Site Link

http://www.vms4x4.com/product-iphone-vms_app

Regards
Ross
AnswerID: 582847

Follow Up By: Sawtybt - Tuesday, Aug 09, 2011 at 00:48

Tuesday, Aug 09, 2011 at 00:48
I forgot to mention that GPSOZ now sell a RAM mount for the IPAD.

http://www.gpsoz.com.au/ram/index.htm#apple

Regards
Ross
FollowupID: 853729

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Aug 09, 2011 at 02:12

Tuesday, Aug 09, 2011 at 02:12
I had Mud Map on my iPad ver1 and iPhone4 but have just upgraded to MudMap Version 3 and what a big difference that makes.

They have lots of mapping available (for a fee) and I now have Melway mapping for Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and Greater Melbourne on them now.

We were out driving around the Sunshine Coast hinterland over the weekend and Margaret had the iPad on her lap and was able to follow where we were and direct me as if using a paper street directory, without the need to turn pages.

It works very good and is a good App to get.

Brian

AnswerID: 582848

Reply By: Pam and Les - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 05:47

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 05:47
If you haven’t already got a pad style device, this may be of interest.http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ES666AU-7-HD-Car-DVD-Player-WiFi-3G-GPS-Andorid-PAD-/220814764956?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336995eb9c It has built in GPS with separate antenna, runs various GPS programs and should run OziExplorer. I bought a “standard” 7in GPS/radio/DVD/DVB-T/etc etc unit off this mob, and it’s a ripper. Didn’t go for the pad device as I couldn’t see a need for a detachable pad, too hard to use whilst driving! Plus it has an older version of Android, although I was told it should run any app anyway.
AnswerID: 582849

Reply By: Luvntravln - Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 06:06

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 06:06
Hey Guys, especially Brian since you seem so knowledgeable.

This would be a great topic for a few hour discussion at Quorn!!

As soon as the "activity" is approved by the Committee; sign me up!!

Cheers, Jay
AnswerID: 582850

Follow Up By: BTMTS - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 05:34

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 05:34
Jay
That would be an excellent idea as long as Brian or someone equally knowledgeable is prepared care to lead the discussion, perhaps in a format to bring out the strengths and weaknesses of the many options. This is an area with many options and lots of potential "traps for young players". Theory is fine but little beats real world experience.
Regards
Peter
FollowupID: 853730

Reply By: Luvntravln - Friday, Aug 19, 2011 at 04:47

Friday, Aug 19, 2011 at 04:47
Brian?
AnswerID: 582851

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Aug 19, 2011 at 19:54

Friday, Aug 19, 2011 at 19:54
Jay,

You may like to look at the Sensis Mapping Application that is currently available for FREE.
I downloaded it yesterday along with the White Pages App.

Brian

FollowupID: 853731

Reply By: Luvntravln - Friday, Aug 19, 2011 at 23:22

Friday, Aug 19, 2011 at 23:22
Brian, can you be more specific about the applications; I can't find them.

Also, any others you can't live without?:-)
AnswerID: 582852

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Aug 20, 2011 at 02:59

Saturday, Aug 20, 2011 at 02:59
Jay,

Try whereis navigator gps from telstra in iTunes

and the other one is White Pages Australia

Brian

FollowupID: 853732

Reply By: Luvntravln - Saturday, Aug 20, 2011 at 05:47

Saturday, Aug 20, 2011 at 05:47
Thanks Brian, found through iTunes on computer simply doing a search for Sensis. :-)
AnswerID: 582853

Our Sponsors