Need info on the Duncan Highway WA please

Submitted: Friday, Sep 16, 2011 at 08:51
ThreadID: 127615 Views:2690 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks. We're looking at driving from Halls Creek to Kununurra via the Duncan Hwy and was just wondering if anyone out there has done this trip. I've driven the first 15km or so up to Caroline Springs just with the car and all seems fine, but I was wondering how the rest of it is and essentially how it would be towing a BT. I was warned of some steep creek crossing descents with a "you'll never get a van through there" kind of comment, but came from someone with a campertrailer so am dubious as to their claims. Can anybody please advise if they have done this trip and if there is any need for concern? Driving a Landcruiser 4.2TD with a 21' BT. And of course willing to take it slow and cautious etc.
Thanks for any info.
Cheers, Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Sep 17, 2011 at 00:44

Saturday, Sep 17, 2011 at 00:44
Not a problem at all Greg (dry weather and so long as the rivers have gone down). Lots of us have done it. My 2008 travel blog is on my website if you want a preview.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 583112

Reply By: The Hob - Saturday, Sep 17, 2011 at 03:27

Saturday, Sep 17, 2011 at 03:27
As Motherhen said Greg.

We towed our van along there a few weeks ago this year. We were warned of a bad road but the road was very good all the way. Dropped into Morella gorge and promptly got a flat. There are dips etc but nothing to worry about if taken slowly.

Trust it hasn't been cut up since we did it in July.

Alan
AnswerID: 583113

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Saturday, Sep 17, 2011 at 18:14

Saturday, Sep 17, 2011 at 18:14
It a very pleasant trip and will present no problems for the BT. The track is uysually pretty good corrugations wise and the worse end will probably be Halls Creek to Saw Pit Gorge. Take your time to explore the old grdens along the creek at Palm Springs - used to be chinese gardens and a staore there in the gold rush days. The bananas are probably still growing there and date palms.

Have a look at Sawpit Gorge and see if you can find the little hot mineral spring near there, I seem to remember the track turned off left a little way before you arrive the Sawpit - its in a re-entrant gully at the base of some hills.

Marellar Gorge is a great spot for a few days chill out and the are camp sites along up the road. Negri River and the Behn River.

Cheers John
AnswerID: 583114

Reply By: Mr Sweedy - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 05:34

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 05:34
Thanks all for your great information. I did see it just before we headed out of Halls Creek and didn't have a chance top reply. We arrived in Kununurra yesterday. As you all suggested the Duncan was a great drive and many beautiful locations. We spent nights at Caroline Pool, Palm Springs, Marella Gorge and the Negri River. All very beautiful. Though did have some good drama towards the end of the journey. At Marella Gorge we camped down the bottom near the river. I'd checked out the exit before driving down there and thought it looked ok. But that combination of steepness and loose stones was too much for my Landcruiser and BT and we struggled to get out. After getting up half way over a bit of a hump, and having spent 3 hours trying, we were still spinning on stones. To cut a long story short, we were rescued by some random starngers who drove up in their 4WD and camper trailer. Thank God!!! A bit of a snatch and we were turned around enough in the right direction to drive out. If they hadn't have arrived, it would have taken another hour at least to manouever around to the right angle with the limited front and back space I had. Or we could still be there. Very lucky. That started an interesting 24 hours of drama. I'll post that in my blog when I get it together to update. All in a day of off road caravanning for novices. Live and learn 'ey!
AnswerID: 583115

Our Sponsors