Eaz Lift WDH system

Submitted: Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 19:28
ThreadID: 127622 Views:5092 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Last trip away I whacked the HR drop hitch bad as we exited a servo. Not the first time. So I’ve done a bit of research and it seems the Eaz lift WDH system will allow the DO35 hitch to be mounted on top of the A frame thus allowing a smaller drop shank, giving a lot more ground clearance. Apparently the way the bars connect keep them from hitting the A frame when turning. But before I commit I would like advice from anyone who uses the Eaz lift system, pros and cons. My tow vehicle is a 79 series cab/chassis cruiser. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jacmar - Tuesday, Sep 20, 2011 at 02:19

Tuesday, Sep 20, 2011 at 02:19
I have been using the eaz lift system for 4 years now and as you say hitch is mounted on top of A frame and bars sit just under A frame , great wdh with no problems so far and we travel full time , tow vehicle is 78 series troopie.
Regards Mark.
AnswerID: 583126

Follow Up By: Pam and Les - Tuesday, Sep 20, 2011 at 06:57

Tuesday, Sep 20, 2011 at 06:57
Thanks for that Mark. Good to hear. Do you have the 8in shank extra high/low?
FollowupID: 853884

Reply By: Taj - Tuesday, Sep 20, 2011 at 18:21

Tuesday, Sep 20, 2011 at 18:21
We whacked our HR drop hitch on a rock going through a creek (very slow and gentle - barely noticed a bump). A few months later we ended up with snapped bolts on the towbar (HR, correctly installed). An engineer friend reckoned that the only force that could have resulted in the bolts snapping was one coming from the same direction as the whack on the hitch, so that must have weakened/stressed the bolts and over time/travel the result was a snap.

Fortunately we noticed it before we lost the whole towbar, because the breakaway brake is also attached to the towbar so wouldn't have kicked in. (It's now attached to a special bracket on the chassis, not the towbar.)

We have a 76 series (with airbags) and an 18' and have just done 10,000kms without WDH and have had no problems with stability, and have a lot more clearance with a straight through hitch (solid).

So, better keep an eye on the bolts on your towbar...
AnswerID: 583127

Reply By: Gone Bush - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 00:40

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 00:40
I would be curious to know:

does the DO35 on an Eaz Lift WDH system need that 3rd small hole drilled for the small bolt or not?

The Reese system does.

AnswerID: 583128

Reply By: Gone Bush - Friday, Oct 28, 2011 at 21:49

Friday, Oct 28, 2011 at 21:49
Any update from people who have changed to the Eaz Lift WDH and put their DO35 on top of the drawbar?

AnswerID: 583129

Reply By: Pam and Les - Wednesday, Nov 02, 2011 at 19:37

Wednesday, Nov 02, 2011 at 19:37
Just fitted the Eaz lift system and completed 1000km trip. Noticed no difference with them over the HR unit. Benefits are the coupling is now mounted on top giving the clearance the van should have, a big difference. The bars hang just below the A frame so that adaptor which pushes the A frame even further away from the car is not needed.

Downsides. The bars are longer than the HR and as I have a box on the A frame, the jockey wheel mount no longer fits so needs moving to the inner cross bar, which means I will need a different mount, yet to figure that out. The other is to get the bars on an incline so when tensioned up they are close to level with the A Frame requires the head tilted at an 8deg angle. Hence the DO35 hitch pin is at an 8 deg angle when towing. I have talked to Vehicle Components about this and their initial reaction is OK. But they have requested a picture so their engineer can pass it. Done and I am now awaiting their reply.
AnswerID: 583130

Our Sponsors