Water filtering.

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 03:41
ThreadID: 127679 Views:3156 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I have a sterilisation unit fitted to my van and to this stage have not used it. I recently decided to try it out whilst paraked next to the River Murray, which at the moment is running at about 3 knots (SA). It wasn't long before I had the ceramic filter clogged with the suspended clay particles and with further attempts it is very labourious to keep cleaning the filter!! If I was dying of thirst it may be different!!!!
Has anybody tried precluding the clay prior to the filter system by the process of floccation or adding 'Alum' or other proprietary products to the bucket of water, letting the clay settle and then filtering it?
Would any Chemists know if the 'Alum' has a deletaroius effect on the quality of water.
I note that it is available from the Supermarkets for use in cooking so in my mind it should be fine.
Interested in experiences and suggestions
Regards Ponce
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Strpr - Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 04:16

Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 04:16
I HAVE A LARGE COLLAPSIBLE BUCKET, HOLDS ABOUT 30 LITRES. I FILL IT UP AND LEAVE IT OVERNIGHT. MOST OF THE SEDIMENT SETTLES OUT AND I CARFULLY PUMP IT OUT INTO THE VAN THROUGH A DOMESTIC SEDIMENT WATER FILTER ONLY. I DON'T LIKE USING ANY CHEMICALS. I BOUGHT THE FABRIC BUCKET AT BUNNINGS .
REGARDS PETE
AnswerID: 583241

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 09:24

Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 09:24
Hi Ponce, I can't help you about filters as I don't use a filter of any sort, do not use any additives, and only put good clean water into the tanks.

Like Pete, i use the natural forces of gravity to settle particles, but did not try it with the murky Murray waters - that looked like too much mud. We also had concerns about chemical residue run off from Horticulture. If drawing water from a river or a lake, when settled, i scoop it from the top of the bucket and use direct, saving known good water in the tanks.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 583242

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 22:00

Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 22:00
Howdy all - we have tried some Epsom Salts in Murray waters (below Wentworth too - if you know the gist of that !) as well as the muddy waters of Cooper Creek up around Innamincka way and as well in the diamantina NP at the Hunters Gorge water hole. Over night the mud drops to a beaut thick layer in the lower 10% or so of the bucket with clear water above. The advise we were given, and used, was about a table spoon on salts to a 9 litre bucket of water. Then we pumped off the top clear water via our you beaut pump board with both solids and chemical filter ( the latter to 0.5microns we are told). We have used this for human consumption after the old rolling boil for 10 minutes advice as per Vic Health Commision PDF's to deal with the real awful bugs. We did expect some loose bowel type after effects due to the Epsom Salts, but we had none.
I can not of course advise this as a good way to go, but we simply experimented with it for our own use and have been alive since with no known ill health problems.

... other than a third eye, gum like trees growing out of the left ear and our skin going dark green and with deep red gashes - :-) :-)

No serious we are well!
Cheers - Ian & Sally
AnswerID: 583243

Reply By: Trish n Phil - Thursday, Oct 20, 2011 at 01:35

Thursday, Oct 20, 2011 at 01:35
Hi Ponce,
We use water from most rivers we camp on. I have a 120 litre collapsible outboard motor flush bucket (from BCF) which hangs from rear tail light assembly of the van.
I fill this with water from river and add 1/2 teaspoon of alum (hydrangea blue from nursery supplies) and this settles the water clear in 1- 2 hours.

I then carefully pump this into the non potable tank, taking care not to disturb sediment from sides and bottom of bucket. I only use this water in non potable tank but have had no problems with this method.

Hope this helps
Phil
AnswerID: 583244

Follow Up By: JohnS - Thursday, Oct 20, 2011 at 16:03

Thursday, Oct 20, 2011 at 16:03
Oldtimers from another era used the fine white ash from their camp fire. Just spread it over the water in a container and when its settled you will find the water is clear as the ash catches the sediment as it falls to the bottom.
FollowupID: 853937

Our Sponsors