Weber Q BBQ

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 29, 2011 at 23:20
ThreadID: 127699 Views:12592 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Most questions I get when people see me using my Weber Q 200 bbq outside my Bushtracker are related to temperature and the fact that their Weber Q never seems to get hot enough.

As a person who has been involved in retailling Webers for over 25 years, I thought I had all the answers and had experienced or been told about all the issues that arise from time to time.

I would agree with them and tell them that wind was the enemy of the Weber Q (especially the older Baby Q) and that by ensuring that the bbq was sheltered from the wind as much as possible, then the performance would be enhanced to a satisfactory point. I said this because I knew it to be true and certainly my own caravan's Weber Q did not heat up as much as the one back at home that lives and works in a sheltered enviroment on my verandah.

For the past 12 months I have been telling my wife that the roast will take a little longer than it does at home because the wind is blowing or the ambient temperature is a little cold today. I explained that these were the reasons that I could not crackle the pork as I do at home or crisp the chicken skin just right.

On returning home from our recent travels I have had an epiphany. The reason the Weber Q at home gets much hotter (some 50C more) is that it is connected to a 9kg gas bottle via a regulator and hose. The caravan Weber Q is connected to the caravan gas reticulation via a bayonet fitting.

I am surmising that the regulator fitted to my Bushtracker does not allow the same gas flow as the regulator on the bottle feed to my home bbq. I swapped the hose on my caravan bbq with the one at home and connected it direct to the bottle with the result that it now obtains the full heat range.

I wonder just how many caravaners have been caught out by this and are living under the impression that their purchase of a Weber Q bbq has not been the success that they had expected.

I will now see if I can find a gasfitter who will connect a direct line to my bayonet outlet utilising the same type of regulator that are supplied with bbq hoses as opposed to the type fitted to the van's reticulated system by Bushtracker (which I am sure is mandated by Qld law).

Lance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 01:18

Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 01:18
A very good point Lance.
My BabyQ is fitted with its' own regulator as it came out of the box.
I plug it into the spare on board gas bottle or a spare bottle if there is one.
No problems with the heat and some times it needs throttling a bit providing the wind factor is dealt with.
It can be cooled a bit by jacking up the lid a bit with a suitable instrument,
AnswerID: 583309

Reply By: Luvntravln - Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 06:32

Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 06:32
Very interesting; I just roasted a chook and while there is no wind I simply could not reach 200C! Yes, we are plugged into the BT.
AnswerID: 583310

Follow Up By: BTRACK22 - Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 22:05

Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 22:05
Jay - now you will have to "borrow" a standard bbq hose with regulator and try connecting straight to a bottle. I would be interested to know if your results concur with mine as this would confirm my thoughts.

Lance
FollowupID: 853972

Reply By: Luvntravln - Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 23:41

Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 23:41
Lance, no need to borrow; I have the bottle and the standard regulator hose. I went over to a gas fitting place and put a gas snap fitting on the BBQ end fitting and snap fittings on the hoses. All I have to do is unsnap the BT hose and snap on the bottle. Will advise you next week on results as the bottle is in the F450 and the Effie is at the "shop" for battery management and other toys. :)
AnswerID: 583311

Follow Up By: Luvntravln - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 02:42

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 02:42
Lance, I spoke with the installer, he said that the pressure at the bayonet and the pressure on the end of a regulated hose should be the same: 2.75. I am going to be at the factory on 12 December and he is going to check the whole system for me.
FollowupID: 853973

Our Sponsors