Questions re. Coober Pedy to Innamincka via Strzelecki

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 08, 2011 at 11:34
ThreadID: 127719 Views:5239 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks. We are currently in Coober Pedy and looking to head from here in a couple of days to William Creek, then down to Lyndhurst and up the Strzelecki Track to Innamincka. I know it's going to be very hot through there at this time of year and that the road conditions are highly weather dependant ie. can change quickly with any significant rain. Although I'm reasonably confident these days and have now done a fair bit of offroad driving in the past few months, the remoteness of the Strzelecki track and the heat if something goes wrong is making me slightly nervous. I'm just wondering firstly, if anyone has done this drive around this time of year and if so, what kind of traffic tends to be on the road i.e. is it a miracle if you see another car/truck/road train on this journey, or is there actually traffic of some description travelling up this route.

It seems with the current road conditions as per the SA gov website and the forecast for the next week or so that road conditions are likely pretty dry. I'm thinking that tyre pressures of around 30psi are the go for both the car and the van(Landcruiser 100 + 21' BT, Bridgestone Dueller AT 694s all round). Does that sound right? I know that everybody says "keep your speed down", but what does that actually mean? If I'm using these sort of tyre pressures, what should my absolute maximum speed typically be? 60km/h?

Any tips at all for this journey are greatly appreciated. Particularly interested in hearing from anybody who has done this trip or parts of it.

Thanks for any assistance.
Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Oldperc - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2011 at 17:16

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2011 at 17:16
You should have no problems. We headed up from Lyndhurst midAugust but diverted to Cameron's corner via the short cut (easy).
When your in Lyndhurst get your fuel from the pub, heaps cheaper than all towns north and south. There's a war on between the BP station and the pub.
The (new) Strelecki track is a bit like Queen Street. Heaps of traffic going and coming from Moomba Gas .
Try the old Strzelecki it's more enjoyable. Heaps of free camps.
It will be bloody hot, I see Birdsville was 42c testerday
David
PS I had the tyres at 25psi all round but we only have a 20'BT and L/C 100. Just drive to the conditions.
David and Ann
'I'am so proud of you poppa'

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 583371

Reply By: Spydor - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2011 at 17:17

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2011 at 17:17
Mr Sweedy, My wife and i did the trip at this time of the year. although, in the reverse direction There was never a problem as the bulldust holes are marked. There is always traffic on the road as it is the only service road for all the oil and gas fields out there. enjoy !! Montecelina bore was interesting, lots of bird life
Cheers Spydor & Robyn
Spydor
Everybody makes me happy! Some when they arrive, Some when they leave !!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 583372

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2011 at 23:07

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2011 at 23:07
Just don't swim in it. It is full of Bird S**T.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 854013

Reply By: Tracks n About - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2011 at 19:55

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2011 at 19:55
G'Day, We haven't done the trip your planning yet,hopefully not too far off though. I would just like to say that as for absolute maximum speed. We came down the Tanami Track in October last year. The day after we crossed into the N.T. it took us 5 hours to do 30 kms. We took it in turns of walking for excersise while the other idled along ! Wasn't too many sections we were able to get up to 60.Once again maximum speed depends on conditions. When we left Halls Creek I had the tyre pressures the same as your thinking about and have the same tyres as you. Second day out,I dropped the BT's and the front tyres of our Troopy down to 25psi,left the rear at 30psi,That's cold readings. Have a good trip,sure you'll enjoy it.
AnswerID: 583373

Reply By: Boystoy - Wednesday, Nov 09, 2011 at 04:31

Wednesday, Nov 09, 2011 at 04:31
Hi Greg,

Suggestion, if you have time between Maree & Lyndhurst, and if you are interested in a bit of history, visit Farina.
Farina is the remains of a Ghan railway village. It has been cleaned up, and a lot of informative signs have been erected among the ruins.
The also have an excellent camping ground in the creek just beyond the village.

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 583374

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Wednesday, Nov 09, 2011 at 07:17

Wednesday, Nov 09, 2011 at 07:17
Lovely terrain to travel.
Take your time and stop to "smell the roses" - and there are many!
Just be aware that the summer brings not just heat - but tail ends of tropical rain depressions sweeping down from the North West and the roads can be closed at the "drop of a hat" by the authorities. Never the less - William Creek and Coward Springs are very pleasant places to be stuck with lovely people for company. Can recommend Adrian's abilities at the Lynhurst Hotel. Say g'day to hime from us if you get there.
We got stopped by such a rain event from TC John in Dec 1999 when the roads were closed for the 1st time in 15months at about 1 hours notice - 2" rain then 4" rain on consecutive nights!
Then in 2000, there were three 4WD rigs swept to destruction as they camped in the creek at Farina. South Westerly systems swept a huge southern rain depression up from the Bight and dropped some savage rain over the hills NW of Woomera and Roxby Downs before the Northern Flinders. So try to stay up out of the creek bed at Farina. BT's have that 4ft of water level, but they would float well in a flood incident in out back creeks.
Our many trips that way over the years never saw us devoid of company by way of other traffic. Great chats around fires each evening with passing aquaintences are very nice.
Cheers - Ian & Sally
AnswerID: 583375

Reply By: Mr Sweedy - Friday, Nov 25, 2011 at 10:55

Friday, Nov 25, 2011 at 10:55
Thank you good people for your advice on crossing the Strzelecki. I've only really just had a chance to respond with my gratitude. It sure was hot out there, which had me staring at the instrument panel of the car for most of the way hoping that nothing was overheating, likewise with tyre checks, but all was good. Car and van did well and we made it fine. Innamincka is a great little town. Stopped in for a couple of days at the pub and had a great time. A really amazing part of the country. Thanks again for your good advice.
Regards, Greg
AnswerID: 583376

Our Sponsors