Opinions on tyres for Landcruiser

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 22, 2011 at 08:16
ThreadID: 127741 Views:7357 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are looking at new tyres for our Landcruiser and would like opinions from BOG members on the 2 tyres I am trying to decide between. Tyres are Coopers AT3 265/75/R16 and the other Bridgestone D694 LT 265/75-16. I would appreciate any comments from people who have used either of these tyres. Thanks. Peter
Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Spydor - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2011 at 16:58

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2011 at 16:58
Hi Peter,
I have used bridgestone in the past with success. have friends with coopers and BOTH of them have had problems off road. Delamination and also lug problems.However, on my last four landcruisers i have fitted "pro comp" all terrain. these are a fantastic tyre. quiet on the road and good off road.they are rumoured to be made in the same factory as coopers / mickey thompsons, but i don't know. I get about 80 - 90 thousand kilometres from them. Well worth a look !! google them.
Cheers Spydor & Robyn
Spydor
Everybody makes me happy! Some when they arrive, Some when they leave !!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 583461

Reply By: Spydor - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2011 at 17:36

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2011 at 17:36
Hi Peter,
I tried to reply earlier but it appeared not to go through. if this comes through twice, my fault !! I have used bridgestones in the past with success. however, i have two friends that have used coopers. BOTH of them had problems with delamination and also lug damage off road. I have used and currently use PRO COMP A/T They are rumoured to be made by mickey thompson, but i don't know? They are a fantastic tyre. Very quiet on the road and excellent off road. We have towed our bushtracker around oz on some very rough tracks with no problems.
Well worth a look. I get about 80-90 k from them
Cheers Spydor & Robyn
Spydor
Everybody makes me happy! Some when they arrive, Some when they leave !!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 583462

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2011 at 19:35

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2011 at 19:35
We used Coopers ST (I think) on the Toyhootas on the huge DEC ex pastoral stations we looked after. Overpriced rubbish IMHO. Mostly sand country with quite a lot of stony hills out there. They got cut to bits and lots of spikes. I kept telling Kalgoorlie office they were bleep money away - but goverment has deaf ears

On the 100 series and van I have used Bridgestone D693 with great success - only changed the first set on the van at 5.5 years and 80K plus (and they still had a bit left) - considering the country we travelled in that time bloody amazing. Now have D694 on the cruiser and Silent Armour on the van as could not get Bridgestones in Alice last year. Too early to comment on the Goodyears'

John
AnswerID: 583463

Reply By: Rob & Glen - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2011 at 20:36

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2011 at 20:36
Peter
We are running D694LT 265/75-16 on LC ute. Done adout 40k proberly 30k towing the BT on roads including Buchanan hwy,Buntine hwy, Duncan rd, gibb river rd, Kalumburu Mitchell falls rds,and Savannah way.
The tyres have performed very well, apeer about 50% left. At this stage no flats or repairs but the first halve is the best halve.
Could not be happer.

Rob
Just wearing the road out that we built.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 583464

Reply By: Toyman - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2011 at 22:05

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2011 at 22:05
I recently did a bit of homework and went for the Pirelli Scorpion ATR.
They won the Australian 4 X 4 Action Magazine tyre test a few months ago against all the big names.
Must admit they don't look as beefy as the rest but are great on the bitumen and have not increased my fuel usage as the others have that I have used.
Worth a look IMHO
http://www.actiontyres.com.au/_blog/Action_Tyres/post/Pirelli_Scorpion_ATR_Wins_Australian_4x4_Action_Magazine_Tyre_Test/

John
"He who dies with the most toys wins"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 583465

Reply By: Innkeepers - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2011 at 17:08

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2011 at 17:08
Hi Peter,

In May 2006 we put 5 BFG All Terrains on our 100 series cruiser and have done a lot of hard country with them....look at our blog website... I have just replaced 2 on the front and the rears still have about 4mm of tread left. those tyres have done 110,000k's. Yes, true, we put them on at 40,000k and we now have 150,000k on the cruiser.

They are scarce as rocking horse poop at the moment, that's why we only put 2 new ones on the front.

Needless to say, we would go with them again for the type of work we do with them.

We've seen a lot of Coopers shredded in our travels and when towing a heavy van, they also tear big chuncks of tread out of the tyre. If you remember what sugar cubes look like, then that will give you an idea of the size of the chunks that just rip out while towing.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rick
AnswerID: 583466

Reply By: Travelling Twosome - Thursday, Nov 24, 2011 at 04:50

Thursday, Nov 24, 2011 at 04:50
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. We've decided to go with the Bridgestone. I'm so glad we asked the question. I was leaning towards Coopers but from all the comments I will stay well away from them now!
Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 583467

Follow Up By: TRB60 - Thursday, Nov 24, 2011 at 07:17

Thursday, Nov 24, 2011 at 07:17
hi
Have been running BFG Mud terrains, for the last 20 years or so, exellent tyres on loose gravel and mud, good grip even on wet roads. Generally get around 80,000km before that they go on the van with a new lot on the Toyota, with the 6.5 lt Turbo Chev diesel compliments of Brunswick Diesel. Better economy than the 1HZ heaps of power around the same as 200 series with more torque. No electronics to worry about in the bush. Stay away from Coopers from my experience.

Regards Terry Bridges
FollowupID: 854064

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2011 at 10:42

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2011 at 10:42
With respect I doubt any 6.5lt turbo charged chev matches the kw & torque the 200 turbo diesel does.

Toyota - power 195 kw torque 650 nm

Chev - power 123kw torque 447nm

I'll agree with the less electronics :-)
FollowupID: 854065

Reply By: Pat 'n Roger - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2011 at 03:18

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2011 at 03:18
Had the same dilemma, finally went for BFG A/T, fitted last week, if I get the same ks as Rick I'll be a happy man! I mean I'll stay a happy man!

Merry Xmas everyone,

Roger
AnswerID: 583468

Our Sponsors