Aux Battery

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 20:20
ThreadID: 127817 Views:2985 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day, This is a follow up to my post 7234 nearly 12 months ago. Back then I was looking at replacing the aux battery in my Troopy. After having been in N.Z. for a lot of last year,the time has come to do it. Have been to the local Alco agent,and he's recommending the Trojan Deep Cycle for $345. My auto electrician (and mate)
has always advised me against a deep cycle for two reasons. One:- He says that it would take too long to get back to full charge. Two:- He says that the exta cost just can not be justified. The last one he put in for me was a Centary Marine and cost about $200,but it only lasted 18 months. My present Troopy is the V8 with the bonnet scoop,which should have relieved some of the "cooking" problem I had with my previous two Troopys.
Has anyone had the Trojan ? And does $ 345 sound about the right price with the BOG discount ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 10:29

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 10:29
Our 79 series V8 Toyota is 2008 and is now on it's 2nd set of main & aux batteries, from what i have found out engine bay temp is not kind on batteries fitted there.

It had a Supercharge All Rounder as Aux and i stayed with that because of the small choice i had when replacement was required.

Also my understanding to get full charge into the aux battery a DC to DC charger or solar panels & reg is required or at very least a good quality VSR (voltage sensitive relay)

My intention [one day] is to fit two deep cycle batteries in the canopy, charged by 3 x 80 w panels to power two fridge / freezer
AnswerID: 583661

Follow Up By: grumpyolephartz - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 04:53

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 04:53
Mick, I am with you on the charging of the auxiliary battery under the bonnet. They do get hot but I made up some aluminium shielding to ensure more fresh cool air is around the battery and try to keep the heat away. I understand there is a bit of a barrier to charging deep cycle batteries properly as the internal resistance is higher.

I use a Ranox DC to DC charger to ensure a battery bank is properly charged. We previously had a battery bank of 350a/h and I was never able in normal conditions to charge to 100%. The reason being that the regulator dropped the voltage as the internal resistance built up. The Ranox is able to output 25a/h at 14.4v where the the car may have been putting out less than 14v, and even down to 10v, but still requires the amps.

I have my Ranox output switchable, using a marine switch so I can feed the battery, the caravan , both or neither.

Some Toyotas are notable in dropping the output voltage, which reduces the capability in charging batteries additional to the starting battery. They trade off to improve fuel economy.
FollowupID: 854144

Reply By: Spydor - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 18:11

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 18:11
Hi, I have had trojans in two previous vehicles and they perform very well. the only downside is the fact that they are a "flooded" type battery and as such tend to loose water rapidly when under the bonnet and also being charged from solar. You will have to have a regimented routine of checking the water level, if it gets too low the battery will "cook". I now use AGM batteries in the van and for the deep cycle battery in the landcruiser.
Cheers Spydor & Robyn
Spydor
Everybody makes me happy! Some when they arrive, Some when they leave !!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 583662

Our Sponsors