Towing through Kosciuszko

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 02:06
ThreadID: 127858 Views:7580 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We plan to travel on the Kosciuszko Alpine Way late February. We are thinking this route as we want to drive the full length of the Murray River hence we would like to travel through Corryong.

We would like to hear from members as to whether this is a good road to tow our 19ft van or are there other recommendations please.

Many thanks
The Heads
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willie - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 03:18

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 03:18
Have a look here :
http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/EastVic/High_Country_-_Corryong_to_Omeo.aspx
AnswerID: 583757

Reply By: Bobrovin - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 03:35

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 03:35
Hi Bob & Julie

We have travelled the Alpine way over xmas the last two years with a 20' van . Both times were from Khancobin to Jindabine and you will be coming the other way but I dont see any problems for you. Of cause the road is steep and windy but is wide enough to not be concerned about vehicles travelling the other way. Usual advise about taking it slow in low gears down the steep hills.
Best camp spot is right on the murray at Tom Groggin here .
Geehi is also a good camp spot on a nice creek.
AnswerID: 583758

Follow Up By: Bow & Nan - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 17:54

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 17:54
Jindabine to and

We have travelled Jindabine, Geehi to Khancobin four times. Use low gears and you will not have a problem. We always fill up our water tanks at Geehi.
FollowupID: 854203

Reply By: The Heads - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 04:12

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 04:12
Thanks Bob & laurel and Willie for your advices

Bob & Julie
AnswerID: 583759

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 07:59

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 07:59
Hullo Bob and Julie

I am new to this forum (today is my first day :-) and as a newbie, I am somewhat apprehensive about posting a contrary opinion.

I am fairly familiar with this section of road - the last time was only a few months ago when towing my Tvan through there from Corryong to Jindabyne.

There are a number of sections where I consider it would either not be possible to pass each other if you met a similar wide vehicle coming the other way, or very difficult / potentially dangerous. These sections are 1) just down from The Pilot LO towards Leather Barrel Ck, 2) near Scammells LO and 3) the section either side of Murray PS #1, including a number of narrow cuttings. Sight distance is restricted for much of this road and so advance warning and stopping distance can be minimal.

Following us up this time was a Jayco camper van and fortunately I was able to warn them a few times to stay in passing places because of wide vehicles (trucks) coming the other way. Neither vehicle would have found it easy to reverse the required distance (up to 500m) to enable them pass safely. The trucks (locals) in particular were very appreciative of this assistance.

Now you might be lucky and not meet a wide vehicle coming the other way. On the other hand, you might and then you will need a way out of the impass!

Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 583760

Reply By: Tassie Bushies - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 06:40

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 06:40
Hi Bob & Julie,
Sorry but Andrew is correct!
We came home from Canberra that way 3 years ago, there was not indication untill we got to Cooma, where there is a sign saying, ROAD NOT SUITABLE FOR ARTICULATED VEHICLES but I wasn't going to then turn around & go back that far, so we kept going, having been that way before but just in a car I couldn't remember anything more complicated than our normal roads here in Tassie.

I have a F250 & 20Ft BT, and found several places where it would have been impossable to have passed another vehicle, BECAUSE going around some of those corners which have a mighty camber on them, leaning in to the cutting, there was also the problem of the rocks that had fallen into the mesh netting, & were protuding out sometimes up to 2 to 3 ft.
So with my poor turning circle - the camber - & the rocks hanging out, I needed to be compleatly on the other side of the road going around blind corners.
I don't believe anyone can consider that to be safe!
As luck happened all we met were about 6 motorbikes, & it wasn't me on the wrong side of the road when we met one of them, he did have some work to do getting straightened up enough to pass.
They make No allowance for someone else doing something wrong.
Regards Peter.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 583761

Reply By: Flavs - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 07:24

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 07:24
Hi Bob & Julie

May I suggest an alternative route.

Cooma to Kiandra on the Snowy Mountains Hwy, then Kiandra towards Cabramurra, but right towards Tumut 2 Power Station (the Elliott Way) just before Cabramurra. This goes down to Sue City (now O'Hares rest area at the top of Talbingo Res).
The Elliiott Way comes to a T-Intersection (near Paddy's River Camp Area - Free Camp), left at the T takes you down to Tooma and you can pick up a turn to Corryong (right to Paddy's River Camp & Tumbarumba).
A much better and safer road with nice camp areas at 3 mile dam (just past Kiandra), O'hares and Paddy's.
The road is good and steepish at times, but with low gear driving its not a problem).

I have towed a 22' BT and Chev thru a number of times (my preferred route from Bermi to Wodonga, though I now turn right at the T and go thru Tumbarumba and down the freeway.
I have also towed a 19' boat thru the Tooma section also, only a couple of small low gear downhills.

regards
Noel
Noel & Denise
Website Manager
Life Member

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 583762

Follow Up By: Luvntravln - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 03:43

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 03:43
Noel, can I crawl this route with my F450 and 24'BT?
FollowupID: 854204

Follow Up By: Tassie Bushies - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 00:25

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 00:25
Hi Noel & Denise,

Greetings from sunny Tassie.
Yes we have a summer this year.

Your road from Tumbarumba to the Highway, is it coming out at Little Billabong or Holbrook?
Regards Peter.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 854205

Reply By: Flavs - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 23:41

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 23:41
Yes Jay I believe with due care you can, however, you can never predict on coming traffic, so need to take extra care and slowly. There are signs on the downhill to O'Hares Rest Area that large vehicles may take up some of your road.

I would not tow from Cabramurra to Corryong as it is steep and lots & lots of bends. (I did go thru with an 18' boat once)

regards
Noel
Noel & Denise
Website Manager
Life Member

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 583763

Reply By: Wherrol - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 08:23

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 08:23
What beautiful places you are about to visit.

We cannot comment about the road from Thredbo to Khancoban. We woosed out after seeing 'the' sign.

However we can recommend:
The Thredbo Diggings Camp Ground, (10kms south of Thredbo) beautiful spot by the river.
Three Mile Dam; Sue City (O'Hares) and Paddys River.

Also Towong has a beautiful free campsite by the river.

Have put some of the campsites, we visited, on the "Campsites" section of this forum.

We went down Elliott Way just the other day. Bit 'hang onto your hat' in some sections but really it was fine and dandy. Just low range, low gear and chugg on down.

Scenery is stunning, walks amazing, and some of the coffee shops are fantastic.

Allan and Sharon

May we also recommend you visit the Murray 1 Power Station for great overall information on the Snowy Mountain Scheme.
AnswerID: 583764

Our Sponsors