Fridge Problems

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 18:25
ThreadID: 127915 Views:3227 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day,
We seem to be having a few problems with our Coolmatic (Waeco) 190 ltr fridge. BT was a June 2004 delivery,so makes it nearly 12 years old,and first time we've had any worry with it. Have searched the Forum for similer problems,but can't find one the same. Probably the closest was Peter & Jan's post 7894 where their fridge just kept running. Our's appears to be running a lot,but does turn off when it gets down to 2deg,but then doesn't seem to start up again till it get's up to 10 or 12 Deg. It runs more through the day,I'd say because it gets up in temperature faster due to the hot days we've had of late on the Sunshine Coast. Have rang Andrew at The Fridge Wisperer who fixed Peter & Jans,and he seems to think it may be the same problem as theirs,but understandably couldn't be sure without us taking the unit in. Thing is their compressor was running no stop and iceing up naturally,where as ours ices up then melts after the compresser turns off while the fridge gets back up to 10-12 Deg. We're at home at the moment so not living in the van. The regulator settles on 12.8 amps after the sun goes down,and only drops to 12.5 or 12.6 amps by morning,this is why I feel that it doesn't run much of a night. All advice welcome.

BUT WAIT THERE'S STILL MORE !!

Turned our 8 year old 60 ltr Engel on last Friday after 14 months,spent a lot of last year in N.Z. (We did,not the fridge ) !!! and haven't been away on any trips since we got back. (But getting ready). Anyway the motor is running but fridge is staying room temperature. Engel have advised me to leave it going for three days as the gas may have settled. If anybody else has had a similar problem would also appreciate to know what your solution turned out to be.

I'm hoping both things turn out to thermostat related, a lot cheaper than compressor or other possible causes.

Lawrie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 18:33

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 18:33
With the Waeco, I would replace the thermostat as they do wear out eventually.
A build up of ice will affect the correct operation of the thermostat.

Simply enough job if you can handle a left handed phillips head screw driver.

As for the Engel it 's definately a gas problem..........maybe there is none.
AnswerID: 583907

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 20:17

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 20:17
Hi Lawrie,
We have 2005 model and had similar prob last year, turned out the fan had kissed the dirt. Simple replacement of fan did the trick, don't know why it affected the fridge but BT sent out a replacement and sparky son did the rest. Couldn't believe that such a simple thing made such a difference, haven't had a problem since.
AnswerID: 583908

Follow Up By: Tracks n About - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 03:29

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 03:29
G'Day Jaunty Jordans,
When you found that the fan had kissed the dust,had it actually stopped working ? Have removed the external vent and ours appears to be bussing along.
Thanks for your reply,
Lawrie.
FollowupID: 854260

Reply By: Boystoy - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 08:03

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 08:03
Hi Lawrie,

You might check out the BOG Bible located in the 'Members' tab. Look under 'Maintenance', 'Refrigerator'.
You may find some help there.

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 583909

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 07:06

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 07:06
Regarding the Engel, we have two 40 lt models and 12 months ago i started one up in preparation to take away only to find the motor ran but it didn't get cold. I took it to an authorised Engel agent only to be told that it required a new 'guts' as the unit is replaced as a whole. Instead of spending $600 we bought a new ARB fridge and have been very happy with it's performance.

Fast forward 12 months and i have read what you wrote so i decided to get the Engel out and turn it on and leave it for a few days, well within 36 hours it's working fine, freezing temps.

So thanks for the advice ..
AnswerID: 583910

Follow Up By: Tracks n About - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 08:06

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 08:06
G'Day Mick & Vickie,
Left ours on for three days, and nothing. Took it over to Caloundra today to an authorised agent. Expecting the worst. Will probably get it fixed as a new one is about $1800. My brother has an ARB (same as an Engel) and he has had all sorts of problems. Luck of the draw I guess. Glad yours worked for you.
Looks like the Coolmatic problem is the thermostst.
Lawrie.
FollowupID: 854261

Reply By: Freewheelers - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 19:04

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 19:04
hi guys
we have just had a new compressor contoller box & fan plus obviously regas down here in tassie cost $ 1200
guess thermosat will be next as its all thats left
cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 583911

Reply By: Tracks n About - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 20:34

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 20:34
G'Day Stephen & Deborah,
I'm guessing your fridge problem was with your BT fridge. Our BT fridge seems to have setteled down now,and appears to be working fine,but we have got ourselves a spare thermostst just in case. Our Engel problem was a blocked compressor line and the fan was playing up. That set us back $350 and all's well so far. No guarntees that it will not block again,but was worth a try when a new one is around $1800.
Happy travels,
Lawrie.
AnswerID: 583912

Our Sponsors