Electric Awning/sides

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:00
ThreadID: 127933 Views:4091 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We have recently had an electric awning installed by Bushtracker to replace our old Coolibah awning, and we want to fit a sun blocker end wall and side as supplied by Aussie Traveller. AT advised that their standard bits are made for 'normal' (ie not so high as BT) vans. They said that we could either have custom walls made, or perhaps have some fabric attached to the standard walls.

What is members' experience with either of these options?

BT also supplied an anti-flap kit, so we are going to use the sailtrack type end wall, rather than the velcro tie style.

Thanks

Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Luvntravln - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 22:58

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 22:58
Bob, we are very happy with the new walls supplied by AT; yes, custom in height but so much lighter than the older style. Anytime we stop for a week or more up goes the annexe; too easy. Also, if inclement weather, up goes the annexe even for a couple of nights.

Choices!
AnswerID: 583947

Reply By: Jorgo - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 03:10

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 03:10
Hi Bob

We had "The Awning Man" do our complete awning and walls. A very good service where he will come to your van and do the work on site.

His details are: Bob & Jenny Stafford Mob 0411 139 340

Cheers, Darryl
Darryl & Robbie

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 583948

Follow Up By: Firefly - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 09:52

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 09:52
Hi Bob, I take it the electric awning was a retro fit to an older van. Was there any problem in BT locating suitable mounting points? How did they repair the external roof/wall corner where the Coolibah had been mounted?

Cheers,
FollowupID: 854274

Follow Up By: Pixellator - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 10:59

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 10:59
Vince

Yes, our van is seven years old.

No problems with the fitting. The vertical support arms are secured on to the underlying frame, almost abutting the rear end of the front small window, and fairly close to the rear, necessitating replacement of the older style clearnce light with a smaller LED version.

The original L-shaped bracket that runs along the roof was retained, and looks really neat. It probably also affords some protection to the rolled awning.

Everything was done with the usual Bushtracker finesse, attention to detail, and expertise. The switch is placed on the side of the pantry, above its side door which opens over the sink. The inside workings of the switch are neatly boxed in, and the wire is neatly secured along a corner bead. It is linked into the Webasto heater circuit.

Previously we only put out the Coolibah awning if we were parked for a few days, but now I'm sure we'll use it a lot more. Buzz-buzz!

I couldn't be happier with the result.

Cheers

Bob
FollowupID: 854275

Reply By: aubs. - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 00:06

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 00:06
We got the full annex from BT but as an added extra for shade and room Sharon went to an upholsterer and had a shade sail (heavy duty shade scloth) made to suit the length and 4m wide, this is fed into the track on the drum when its rolled out, we have used this option far more than often then putting up the walls. Sharon asked for eyelets down both edges and across the bottem, this allows the use of poles and tent pegs to secure if safely.Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 583949

Reply By: Freewheelers - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 18:48

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 18:48
hi
anybody doing shade sails can make you one & there are lots around
this may be a cheaper option
we had ours made on bribie is
cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 583950

Our Sponsors