Kings Canyon Resort

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 23:41
ThreadID: 127952 Views:2878 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are heading up there around early June - I have inquired of the resort and we can book a powered site, or they have unlimited unpowered sites which we can can simply choose from when we turn up.

Now in many parks, the unpowered sites are often better than the powered ones, in the sense that you get more space, a wider choice to select from, and so on.

So my question is: anyone been to Kings Canyon, do you recommend powered or unpowered?

Thanks in advance,

Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wherrol - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 02:43

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 02:43
Phil,

What a magic part of the world you two are heading.

When we were there two years ago there were two caravan parks. The resort and the station.

In the resort we stayed in the powered sites which were crowded but everyone was happy so that was ok. Not quite us but well you have to experience it we figured. We never saw the unpowered sites. However we think they are on the edges of the park.

If you happen to go via the Mereenie Loop. This was fine when we went through. However the advice folk gave us was variously that the road was the very worst road in the universe and the worst road in the universe. With tyre pressures down all was fine.

I put some info on the camps section on the various camping areas around the place which you may/or may not find helpful.

Enjoy

Cheers

Sharon
AnswerID: 584005

Reply By: aubs. - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 05:07

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 05:07
I would sooner camp free, is that option out there or must you camp in the grounds. Also are there any entry fees?

I had put Kings Canyon on the back burner till next year, and have chosen do a fly over the Rock and Olgas this year.

Any added info on both would be also appreciated. This has got me thinking maybe we should do both.

Thanks

aubs
AnswerID: 584006

Reply By: Sassy Sam - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 07:56

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 07:56
Dear Phil & Lorraine,

From memory I believe the sites at the bottom of the resort park are powered and offer the best views straight out over the ranges, marvellous at sunset. There are also powered sites around the park so it would depend on what is available when booking. If you don't need power and the sites with the view are not available then the unpowered sites are fine too. Regardless there are some fine spots to just go and enjoy the sunset. This is another magic part of Australia and if you have the time to explore it is every bit as good as Uluru.

As for the Mereenie Loop, you need to enquire locally about road conditions, if it has been recently graded it is fine but otherwise even the good old BT will suffer the corrugations.

Enjoy your time in the centre.

Regards,
Sheryl
AnswerID: 584007

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 08:31

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 08:31
Hi Phil

In 2009 we had no trouble getting a long and easy to get into site when we arrived late in the day in a group of three. We and another traveller had taken all day getting someone with a broken spring on their camper through the Mereenie Loop. We had a site looking onto the range at sunset. I don't recall seeing any open unpowered section like we have found in some other parks. We took a powered site, but i doubt we plugged in to power.
Image Could Not Be Found

Kings Creek Station is also a popular place to stay, although a little further to commute to the canyon.

There is no free camping within a reasonable distance.

Start the magnificent rim walk early in the day as it can get hot, and the walk starts with a long steep climb.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 584008

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 18:52

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 18:52
Love this forum - thanks for all the helpful replies.
AnswerID: 584009

Reply By: aubs. - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 16:40

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 16:40
Your right Phil and Lorraine,

The forums help a lot in making decisions.

We were sitting here last night watching tele, we only have sat tv so the ads are different, and what were we looking at, the Kings Canyon ad, it gone back on the hit list and it looks like the Lark Quarry is back on there also.

We are leaving Calliope on 16th April but will be spending a couple days at Clermont before heading further.
AnswerID: 584010

Our Sponsors