Coburg peninsular

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 02:13
ThreadID: 127982 Views:3797 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Can anyone give me a heads up on taking a Bushrtacker to the Cobourg peninsular.
I have spoken to the national parks and they are ok about towing in van ( I had been told they would not issue permits for vans) all they did say that it would be at your own risk.
I was also advised that the trip from Jabiru would take around 6 hrs to cover the 350 Kim's.
This all sounds too good to be true as the bench mark for me was the Kalumburu Rd from the
Gibb river RD took us 18 hrs to travel 250kms.
Just looking for someone who may be able to give me some first hand info on general road conditions when they travelled the road.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 08:20

Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 08:20
Howdy John - Hmm! Good question.
We are currently researching similar territory for a trip in June/July 2012 and thus far have been led to believe it is a no van trip. Also there has been much info to say we should have "booked our trip" 12 months ahead! So we watch with eager eyes and itching ears on this one!
Thanks for asking
Cheers - Ian & Sally
AnswerID: 584074

Reply By: Pixellator - Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 09:55

Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 09:55
John

I have some friends (non BT) who are travelling to Coburg Peninsula in July. They arranged their permits about 4-6 weeks ago. One is taking a Kimberley Karavan, and the other an Aussie Swag Camper Trailer. AFAIK Caravans are not allowed, unless they have made dispensations. The website says NO.

We did the (tent) trip in 2003, and it was great. Make sure you have plenty of fuel, and don't miss the day trip to Port Essington.

A great drive up there, with reasonbable road, but a bit rough and steep just before entering the National Park.

Cheers
Bob

AnswerID: 584075

Reply By: ~Rover - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 01:53

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 01:53
Hi John,
If you haven't already done so, take a look at the Garig Gunak Barlu National Park website. It says (unfortunately): caravans and motor bikes are not permitted

Andy
"Wherever I Lay My Hat, that's My Home"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 584076

Reply By: Toga The Mist - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 02:46

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 02:46
Hi and Thanks for your responses,
After reading your responses regarding the website and you are correct that it states no caravans
Allowed.I then rang the lady in the permit office in Palmerston who had advised me yesterday that to take an off road van in is ok but it is at your own risk, I reconfirmed this today with the same permit lady and the advice was the same.
It would appear that they have concerns about what people class as off road caravans and therefore tend to lean on the side of caution and fair enough.
For those that may be planning something similar I enquirer about Permit availability in late May early June and as of yesterday there were still vacancies .
The permit lady also mentioned that they sometimes tow a boat in and the time taken from Jabiru
Varies from around 5.5 to 7.5 hrs.
This might give you some idea about planning.
Thanks again for your help
AnswerID: 584077

Reply By: Travelling Twosome - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 20:34

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 20:34
Hi John. We travelled to Cobourg Peninsular with 2 other Bushtrackers in 2008. Two of us had boats on top of our Landcruisers although only got these on water once as it was so windy while we were there. The road is rough but we have been on worse eg. Strezlecki Track. You just have to take it easy and you'll be fine. While we were there a vehicle came in towing a Paramount caravan and it hadn't fallen apart so be assured a BT will make it in! 6 hours should get you in easily. There are two camps at Garig Garu NP, one you camp at if you want to use generators and the other no generators allowed. There is fresh water available, showers and drop toilets. No services around at all so take in all you provisions. Make sure you do trip to Victoria Settlement. Enjoy!
Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 584078

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 04:31

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 04:31
Hello Travelling Twosome,
From our aspect we are quite thrilled with your response here.
However we would like some clarification of the roughness comparison with the Strezlecki Track.
Would that be the Strezlecki Track past Moomba, the track from Birdsville to Innamincka, or the old Strezlecki Track which follows the Strezlecki Creek line to the Merty Merty Tee Junction (near Merty Merty Station)?
The 1st one is really a doddle on most occassions, the 2nd one can be difficult but the 3rd one following the creek line could be quite a challenge to tow a BT along.
Cheers - Ian & Sally
FollowupID: 854325

Reply By: Travelling Twosome - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 19:42

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 19:42
Hi Ian and Sally. We went along the Strezleki from Lyndhurst to Innaminka. It was very rough but main problem for us was the sharp stones sticking up. Road into Cobourg is a bit like that with more corrugations from memory. We haven't done the Gibb but have been to Cape York and the road to Cobourg isn't as bad as the corrugations going up there. You'll be fine! I don't have many photos of the actual track but can send you a couple that we took along the way which will give you an idea of what it's like. Just let me know if you like to see them. Cheers Lyn and Peter
Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 584079

Follow Up By: THE WARDEN - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 07:16

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 07:16
Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 854326

Our Sponsors