Amp-tech AT121000D batteries

Submitted: Friday, May 25, 2012 at 18:50
ThreadID: 128038 Views:4165 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Advice appreciated. Just fitted the above batteries. Previous batteries were red tops and followed BTI recommendation that my BTI yellow charger set on CAL and Solar Reg set on FLD. Do I keep the same settings for the Amp-tech's or change both to AGL? BTI have again recommended the same settings but Supercharge who I purchased the amp-tech's from say no!

Quick story - My late 09 BT was factory fitted with 4 red tops. In April 2011 2 had failed (18mths old). Superchahrge in Bayswater, Perth offered to replace 2 if I bought the other 2 as they were out of warranty - done deal. Now, 12 months & 2 weeks later 3 have failed - 2 with zero volts & 1 with 8 volts. Supercharge Brisbane did'nt want to know me as far as warranty is concerned. I made the mistake as nominating my van as a BT. They totally blame BTI's charger & wiring system for the failures. As far as they are concerned the batteries have sulphated & warranty is therefore void. BTI, of course blame the red tops. Both are empathetic but I am left with carrying the can. Supercharge offered me the Amp-tech's at cost ($150 + GST) and after quotes for other brands e.g. full rivers etc etc took the cheaper option on the day which I may live to regret. We are very conscious of power usage & am always monitoring the readouts. If we want to watch extended TV e.g. always use the generator, only use lights we need etc etc so I don't believe we are the problem. Oh well, such is life.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 01:29

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 01:29
Don't know too much about the Amp-Tech's, but can tell you we have replaced numerous BTI chargers for more reliable ones - such as Victron or CTEK.

As to settings on the charger - Supercharge are who you should be listening to, although our recomendation would be to purchase a new better charger.

mh
AnswerID: 584186

Reply By: Gone Bush - Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 08:36

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 08:36
Hullo Bob,

Elsewhere in the Forum I posted about changing my yellow Omegalec charger for a Projecta 50amp charger. The Omegalec failed on the Gibb.

I set the Projecta according to Projecta's recommendations. I'm still on Redtops, albeit 2 out of 3 have been replaced under warranty. I don't think battery failure was the yellow charger's fault, I think the Redtops couldn't handle corrugations.

My suggestion: use the settings as recommended by the suppliers of the batteries.

AnswerID: 584187

Our Sponsors