Waste Grey Water Tank

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 18:24
ThreadID: 128061 Views:3346 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently installed a 65lt Camel water tank as a grey water tank under the van and last night we pulled into the Kilcoy Rest area where it used to be free, then $6 and now $15 per night with or without power.

The other big difference at Kilcoy Council Rest Stop is THAT ALL WASTE WATER MUST BE DISPOSED OF INTO THE DUMP POINT. There is a proper dump point there so without having our grey water tank we would have had to put a bucket under van and then empty into dump point.

This is the first rest area that we have encountered with one of these signs, but it may be a sign of changing times where the green minority is changing the rules for everyone, just like in Federal politics.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boystoy - Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 07:54

Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 07:54
Hi Brian,

I thought of doing this a couple of years ago, but couldn't find a suitable tank.
Can you please send some details.

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 584247

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 02:30

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 02:30
Neil,
I used a second hand 65lt water tank that I purchased from a member of the Caravanners Forum. The Camel tank has two 25ml threaded openings and a 12 ml opening in the top of the tank and at the same end another 25 ml threaded outlet at the bottom.
Because our older vans were built to fit the black plastic tanks under the ribs between the chassis are to close for the Camel Tanks, so using 50 x 25 tubing with 50 x 50 angle welded across each end I made up a frame for the tank to bolt to.
I then secured the Angle section of tank frame to the chassis rails with Tech Screws.

This then allowed the sink drain to run across the top of the tank and into the tank via a 25ml opening.
The Hand basin then ran down the inside of the chassis and into the other 25ml opening in the top of the tank.
The shower was the problem as the drain hole is on the outside of the chassis so I ran that down the outside of the chassis and used a T piece to enter the tank through the bottom 25ml drain hole. On the outside of the T peice is an inline tap that can allow all the water to drain out as before or retain all the water inside the tank.
I used the 12 ml top opening as the vent.

There are 1 way valves available for fitting in the lines that can be used if odours become a problem, but as the waste water is not going to be in there for very long and it would be easy to put some disinfectant in some clean water and let it slosh around while driving it should clean the tank out anyway.

I am very pleased with the result.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 854388

Reply By: Gone Bush - Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 15:45

Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 15:45
We've enjoyed that Rest Stop a couple of times.

It would be interesting to compare it and the Kilcoy Showgrounds regarding facilities and costs.

AnswerID: 584248

Our Sponsors