Storage Tips

Submitted: Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 07:05
ThreadID: 128072 Views:3257 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are about to store our BT for the long term and would like to hear what the general rule is as far as
Keeping batteries on charge,
Emptying water tanks as well as the thetford flush tank
Do you keep the fridge on very low cool just to keep it ticking over?
It will be under cover so the solar panels will not be getting a workout.
Anything else worth noting? Your input will be most welcome.
Cheers from Jan O
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Maximus - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 22:43

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 22:43
One thing I do because the van is in a shed is to put the charger on a timer that comes on once a week for about 6hours. I MT out the water tanks and toilet tanks.
If it is shed that attracts swallows..cover it as well if you can.

Cheers

AnswerID: 584275

Reply By: Freewheelers - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 01:40

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 01:40
hi all
contrary to what most people do we actually fill water tanks right up
no air=no oxygen= no microbes
if you live somewhere (as we & most do ) where the authorities supply treated water then the chlorine in the water is enough to keep most things at bay
we have had no problems for the last 6 years
when you empty your tanks you cant get every last drop out anyway
i know some people put miltons etc into the tanks then drive around the block trying to splash it around (& this may work) but what a pain & probably unnecessary
cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 584276

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 04:13

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 04:13
I totally agree with you Stephen and Deborah. Water will be fine to use after years of storage if no additives as it is kept in the dark.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 854401

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 04:48

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 04:48
We turn the fridge off and put the battery charger on a weekly timer so that it gets a boost once a week.
With the water, whatever is in the tanks stays there and we just top them up next time we want to use it. It is no different to water stored in rain water tanks, so we treat it the same.

The toilet flush tank has been left with whatever was in it, but last month when we used the van I found that the pump would not turn. On inspection I found calcification around the impella that I believe came from the Nappie San that had been used in the tank, so now I am emptying the flush tank during storage.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 584277

Follow Up By: Freewheelers - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 21:26

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 21:26
HI
we use nappie san but put a dose straight into the cassette at the start of each use
we use to put the pink flush additive into the flush tank but found (as have many others) that as it dries out it leaves black scale on the inside of the tank which then flakes into your flush water & sticks to the bowl when you flush so now only water & no problems
cheers
Stephen & Deborah

FollowupID: 854402

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 19:54

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 19:54
rather than putting battery charger on a timer, use a smart battery charger like a Victron or CTEK, and leave it on permanently.

It will monitor your batteries and only charge when required...
AnswerID: 584278

Our Sponsors