First Trip

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 00:18
ThreadID: 128130 Views:3984 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there, we're "newbies" bought our first Bushtracker in May from NSW and have just returned from our first trip. We travelled up to Alice Springs, Kings Canyon and Uluru. We were mostly on the "blacktop" as this trip was planned originally for our Jayco on road van.
Have to say, just love the Bushtracker, we took it along the Mereenie Loop Road, and while the going was slow the bushtracker handled it no problems. We met a few BT owners out there as well. Looking forward to more trips.
One issue, the fridge was a bit tempremental - took a while to work properly - not sure if this was due to it's age [2004] or whether it just needed to run, or if it needs to be re gassed or wiring issue - shall just have to keep an eye on things.
Lynda

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 05:41

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 05:41
Lynda,
Back in the early 2000's the wiring between the batteries and regulator was considered too small by a number of owners and this was causing voltage drops when the fridge and pumps or other high current items were in use.
If the problem is being caused by a voltage drop then it can be fixed by running another wire up to the Regulator or by using the wire going to the fridge to trigger a relay and then run a heavy wire direct to the fridge from the battery to the regulator and on to the fridge.

If you attend the muster then you are bound to get help there to try and solve any issues.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 584403

Reply By: Spydor - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 08:01

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 08:01
Lynda, FIRST, welcome to the B/T fraternity. We have a 2002 bushtracker and have never had a problem. (murphys law will probably rear his head about now).
What type of fridge is fitted to your van? The one in ours is the 190 litre two door frostbite. "waeco".As our wiring is older than yours, i would look elsewhere for the problem. We run 3 deep cycle batteries and probably run the normal amount of other equipment in the van as most bushtrackers. I note you said that you will "keep an eye on it". That's fine around home, but don't go bush until you solve the problem. warm beer and spoilt food does not make for a great holiday.
GOOD LUCK!!!!
Cheers Spydor & Robyn
Spydor
Everybody makes me happy! Some when they arrive, Some when they leave !!

AnswerID: 584404

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 08:04

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 08:04
Following up on Brian's advice Lynda, we were advised by the fridge importer (our is Vitrifrigo) that it should not be wired through the controller but direct to the battery with 6mm square wire (i think that is what they call it - someone will correct me if i am mis-quoting). My husband had the right wire in his bag of tricks. We had added a Mobitronics Rectifier (to enable to to have the option of running direct from mains power) and this too proved a mistake. The fridge sometimes failed to start and would 'try' to start every thirty seconds - usually at night. The slight voltage drop from being wired through the Mobitronics seemed to be the culprit. All good since we removed it. If need be we can always charge the batteries from mains or genny and keep the fridge 12 v only.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 584405

Reply By: BeTsy - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 20:36

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 20:36
Hi all, thanks for your replies. The fridge is a Waeco, 2 door 190 Lt, once it got going it was fine - and sill working fine at the moment. Alan does suspect it's a wiring issue and is looking to change the wiring to the battery. We took along a second fridge [just in case] a throw back to camper trailer days when we always had two fridges. I think Alan has a couple of other alterations in mind - diesel heater I think, he's already put a second TV for the "bedroom" - our layout has a rear L shaped lounge, and mid combo ensuite - the TV in the lounge area the kids used - as a dvd player - it will have to be updated. Our daughter [12yrs] prefers to sleep in her Oz tent so she was outside when we were set up for a few days and then for an overnighter we were able to set her bed up on the floor [why we wanted the mid bathroom - no need to trip over kids during the night] our son [11 yrs] was not quite ready for his tent [we have 2 oz tents] so he slept on the lounge and was quite comfy in his sleeping bag, Xmas will see him in his own tent or swag. Possibly heading to ACT in Sept so shall see how that goes, other than that it's a weekender in the Pyrenees in Nov and Xmas in Otways. Alan does dual cab conversions and has a car from ACT booked in from next week which limits our chances of heading away at the moment.
Thanks for welcoming us into the BOG - as I said we met a few BT owners - had a great chat to another whilst on the move - I'm sure we'll have other questions and hope to meet more owners in the future.
Cheers Lynda
AnswerID: 584406

Follow Up By: Uncle Dodgy - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 23:01

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 23:01
Hi Lynda
Pleased you got the fridge sorted out
I can fully understand the younguns desire to experience sleeping outside in their own gear.
Personaly though I think I would temper the permission to do so with a lot of consideration given to where you are camped, and who / what might be about out there, and the possible wild life.
It is certainly a wonderful experience, touring in a BT.
Go forth and enjoy.
Hope to hear more from you in the future.
Cheers
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

FollowupID: 854441

Reply By: BeTsy - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 01:05

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 01:05
Hi John

yes agree, Tegan was in her tent in Alice, Kings Canyon and Uluru - as were quite a few other kids - she said she's sure there was a dingo outside when we were at Kings - her tent was set up under our Awning so she was nice and close.
AnswerID: 584407

Our Sponsors