Life After A BT

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 16:43
ThreadID: 128157 Views:3023 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I recently received the following email from a Boger: "I was wondering what people do after life with a BT. Now that you are SELLING UP! We still use our van, but are considering the options as we get older."

My response which I am sharing as I receive this question very often!

"As our email address indicates, we Love To Travel!

I gave up the concept of ROOTS [not the Aussie version!] in 1987 when I moved onto a sailboat as my home in Marina Del Rey, Los Angeles. In 1992 I literally sold everything – some would say including the kids though today I have restored a great relationship with both daughters – and sailed across the Pacific never looking back.

I met my wife Jackie through the internet in 2003 and we have been together ever since.

It took two years before Jackie was comfortable enough as a Nomad to sell her home in Melbourne. We were then living in our first Bushtracker caravan.

Now, Jackie is finally ready to cut all material roots with Australia, her daughter and grandchild live in Melbourne, and we are going out into the big World to see as much as possible.

While Jackie will return to Australia once or twice a year to visit reles, they are always welcome to visit us at our expense. You quickly learn that when you do not live very close to your relatives you are not part of their lives. When you choose at times convenient to you to visit, you cannot help but upset their daily routines. Fact of life: they want you to visit; they go “whew” when you leave.

We will travel using various modes and rent units at various quality levels around the World.

Today until July 2013: we are already booked for six months in San Diego over two periods, we will also do two months each in Mexico and Canada. Mid-2013 to mid-2014 we are going to be in South America; the balance of the year will be in Europe. We are chatting about 2015 being a year in Africa.

Someday, I am 70/Jak is 60, when we can no longer travel – be on the move with only stopping for several weeks to months in a place, and we feel we want to spend perhaps six months in a place, we will probably rent for six months in San Diego and then six months somewhere in the World. Once you get to a place the costs of living anywhere are similar.

The biggest problem for most travelers are the ties to relatives. A vast number of travelers we know quit the day their first grandchild is born; not us!"

If you have any questions about full-time life on the road, write me at:

luvntravln at gmail dot com
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 02:41

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 02:41
Hi Guys,
Isn't it a wonderful feeling!!
We are in the process of disencumbering ourselves of all property here in Australia in order to travel the world until we can no longer due to physical health.
We are both 60 and have invested in an expedition vehicle to be shipped first to Canada and we will then head south (ish) until we get to the bottom bit. Then on to Europe and Africa and beyond.
Our BT has served us very well since 2004 and we have travelled this great land as often as possible. Kids have all grown and as you say, have their own lives, mind you they are all very keen to fly to whatever continent and travel with us for short periods of time.
I know you will have great fun, enjoy and maybe we will meet on the road somewhere sometime. Love hearing that we are not the only mad ones getting out there and doing it!!!
AnswerID: 584471

Follow Up By: Luvntravln - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 05:55

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 05:55
JJ congratulations!!

Please share all details about your expedition vehicle.

When do you arrive Canada; e will be in he greater Calgary area mid Apr- mid My.

Cheers, Jay
FollowupID: 854507

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 08:34

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 08:34
Hi Jay,
Expedition vehicle is a short wheel base 4x4 Earthcruiser, built in Caboolture Qld and now in Bend Oregon USA. We intend to ship in mid 2013, probably to Vancouver and begin wandering. We have a 5 year visa for the USA so plenty of time. We have entered our sixties and have spent a great deal of time wandering Australia and living in remote areas so while we are still agile decided to wander further afield. When we can no longer hold it together we will return to Australia and continue wandering until they put us away or down. In the meantime e hope to explore the Americas, then Africa and finally Europe and east.
We have the same philosophy as yourselves about family, we did not travel as young people so we reckon it is our turn, kids and grandchildren are welcome to join us for short periods and yes we will fly home on occasion but......
Have fun and if you have an itinerary let us know along with an email address and maybe we can meet up somewhere.
Prue
AnswerID: 584472

Follow Up By: Luvntravln - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 17:53

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 17:53
Prue, sounds great!

You are making a big assumption about the operation of your 5-year USA VISA!! We have been told repeatedly that the amount of time for each entry is determined at the time of entry and will not be determined in advance of entry.

Thus far we have hit a wall with Jackie's 5-yr Visa. 6-months in and 12-months out or every other three months.

Going to Mexico or Canada for a few days is not sufficient to gain another 3-months. That rule is on their website because both countries are contiguous.

"Today's" itinerary for anyone interested - Boggers, if you are in the area give a shout:

11 Nov - 23 Feb: San Diego
23 Feb - mid April: Mexico
mid-April - 20 May: Canada
20 May - 1 Aug: San Diego
1 Aug - June 2014: South America
July - End of the year: Europe, Russia and then working towards Africa
2015: A year in Africa

Thereafter, and this is where the Visa issue arrises, we would like to get a small motorhome and "DO" the Grand Tour of the USA, Canada, and Alaska.

That's enough planning!!

Cheers, Jay
FollowupID: 854508

Our Sponsors