HR WDH bolts

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 02:49
ThreadID: 128163 Views:3206 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have read elsewhere that occasionally (infrequently) these bolts can fail so I thought I would have a look at mine.

The hitch is 3 years old and I was sure I could see the top one was not quite straight. So I popped into the Towbar business just down from the BT factory in Kunda Park and bought a replacement kit which includes the cams.

Like all spare parts they were priced like they were made of gold, but, what can you do? If I went to a nuts'n'bolts shop and got the bolts, if the originals broke the cams would go flying into the bush, so I parted with the cash.

Here are my 3 year old bolts:
Image Could Not Be Found
The bottom one, the longer of the two is the one that has the cams on it in the upper position on the hitch. My suspicions about it looking a bit bent are confirmed. So if I gave in to my tight-arse reluctance to pay the asking price I reckon I might have been in for a butt kicking down the track somewhere.

For those who like to keep ahead of things possibly buying the bolts, spring washers and nuts elsewhere and replacing them while still using the original cams would be a cheaper exercise.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 02:54

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 02:54
Stephen I would think that they would be a grade 8 HT bolt.
Are they embossed on the head, that will tell?

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 584492

Follow Up By: Gone Bush - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 02:58

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 02:58
Yes, they are High tensile.

The other thing I'm using to justify the price ($61 !!) is that I had to buy a 15/16 socket and long ring spanner specifically for these bolts a couple of years ago, and I didn't have to bother chasing the correct size bolts with this kit.

Anyway, that's what I told Mrs Bush.

FollowupID: 854530

Follow Up By: Turist - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 03:10

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 03:10
At $61.00 I would want the spanners and to have them fitted as well.
They can't be worth more that five bucks!

I would like to know what is stamped into the face of the head.
That info will assist anyone wanting to purchase spares, they can be sure to get the correct grade.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

FollowupID: 854531

Follow Up By: Gone Bush - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 03:17

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 03:17
I agree entirely Bob. The new ones are in the hitch and stamped on the head is

B

V6

and when you have to buy a new plastic hub cap for the 200 series wheels at $60 you know that the spare parts industry is taking the piss.

There is a nuts and bolts place at the entry to Enterprise St in Kunda Park so I could have gone there if I didn't want an extra set of cams.

Anyway, if those bolts broke in the boondoo and I didn't have any spares at all, I guess I would have parted with more than $60 to get moving again.

FollowupID: 854532

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 04:19

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 04:19
Image Could Not Be Found

Your not the only one to have had this happen. This was mine in 2007, i don't know why but since replacing they have been fine ever since.

One job i do have to get done is have the underneath of the Hayman Reece Hitch were the Weight Distribution Bars makes contact, built up with weld and die grind back to a U shape.
AnswerID: 584493

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 07:16

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 07:16
Hi Stephen

On our first holiday in 2005 with the BT we lost the bolt and cams. The replacement bolt seems satisfactory - well it was in 2009 on our last big trip. We had to 'borrow' it to get us out of trouble when the spring hanger bolt on the F250 broke at Jupiter Well as nothing else would do. We made it safely to Alice with a poor substitute in the HR.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 584494

Reply By: TRB60 - Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 06:55

Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 06:55
hI
black socket heads are the best {allen key} head, they are the highest tensile bolts, had the same problem myself when I changed to a Mc Hitch.
regards Terry.
AnswerID: 584495

Our Sponsors