Lockable water tank caps - No keys !

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 05:39
ThreadID: 128164 Views:5549 Replies:10 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I am an idiot who kept all the spare keys for the caps on one key ring, then left them in the cap, in Boulder Caravan Park. Management said they were never handed in.

I used a sock for the missing water cap, but could not get the other water cap, or my diesel cap off to fill them. Whilst on a detecting tour at Wiluna, I tried everybody's cap keys and got the diesel tank open.

Now I have that unlocked, it just leaves the locked potable cap. My plan is to buy three new ones with a common key - is that possible ?

Any ideas regarding getting the locked cap off ?

Thanks a lot,

Willie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 06:26

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 06:26
I had a water cap that the key wouldn't open, I just prised the cap out with a screw driver and went and bought a new cap. I doubt you could or if its worth having them keyed alike.
AnswerID: 584496

Follow Up By: Willie - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 06:42

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 06:42
I was thinking it might damage the entry area and then it would be a big job to have that changed. I will have a gentle feel around tomorrow and see how I go.

I will ring a supplier and see if a common key system is available. It would be worth it to me instead of mucking around with three keys.

Thanks,

Willie.
FollowupID: 854533

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 07:12

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 07:12
Hi Willie

We lost a cap once on a trip out to the East McDonnells - i hadn't put it on properly. On our return to Alice Springs, the caravan parts shop at the Heritage CP had the right caps. As it was one i did not consider asking if they could be purchased in keyed alike sets. We do not use ours for water filling from hose supplies as we have an add-on one point filling connection. On this occasion we were working on the water tanks and had saved and were replacing rain water in our drinking water tanks.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 584497

Follow Up By: Willie - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 10:35

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 10:35
Thanks Mrs Chook. What's an add on one point filling connection ?
Willie.
FollowupID: 854534

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 11:09

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 11:09
Added on by previous owner.

Snap on hose connection to a fitting on draw bar, which has an irrigation four way tap so each tank can be filled in turn or all at once. So much easier than fighting those caps which i can never work out how to get off - or put on, since i lost one :(, and going from inlet to inlet with the hose.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 854535

Reply By: Innkeepers - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 06:51

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 06:51
Willie,
Please don't think ill of me when I pass this information on to you, I can assure you I am not a person with a criminal mind.

To open a lock when the key is lost, the easiest way is to use a cordless drill fitted with a 1/8 inch drill bit and insert the drill bit whilst it's turning straight into the key slot and push it all the way to the end of the lock barrel. Do this a few times in and out to ream out the tumblers in the barrel. This usually renders the locking tangs useless and then using a flat bladed screwdriver in the key slot, turn the lock. If not successful the first time, more reaming of the lock barrel should do the trick for you.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rick
AnswerID: 584498

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 09:51

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 09:51
Yeah ........ right a friend told me .................................................... :-))

Good tip Bogchoffer :-)
FollowupID: 854536

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 17:12

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 17:12
Hah....yee of little faith Bro..... This little pearl should go in the Bogcchof Book of Bad Business.....more hahaha...he cried....

"tis a frosty morn here in "The Dale" this morning...beautiful day too...
Cheers
Rick
FollowupID: 854537

Follow Up By: Willie - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 20:49

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 20:49
Thanks Rick. Your secrets safe with me.
Willie.
FollowupID: 854538

Reply By: Wherrol - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 00:46

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 00:46
Hi Willie,

We have two caps, both keyed alike. Bought them from Coast to Coast Logan area of Brisbane.

Option B: Have you asked Bushtracker if they have any spare keys? They have all the keys for everyone's storage compartment, so you never know.

Cheers

Allan and Sharon

AnswerID: 584499

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 07:16

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 07:16
Very good advice - will do tomorrow. Thanks a lot.
FollowupID: 854539

Reply By: Bogged Mick - Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 06:10

Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 06:10
I recall that years ago one member had a locksmith replace all the external locks so that he only needed one key. I think all the barrels were replaced. My recollection is that it cost about $200. I thought it was a good idea at the time but never got around to doing it. It wouldn't be hard to confirm if you take a cap into a locksmith.
Mick
AnswerID: 584500

Reply By: Willie - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 04:34

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 04:34
Well I finally fixed this mess up.

I ordered three new caps, but I was unable to get them with the same key.

I jemmied off the locked cap, but unfortunately the collar that it locks onto, on the filer neck, also came away attached to the cap.My local locksmith seperated the two parts. I will now have to glue that collar back into the filler neck, but that's no big deal.

I bit the bullet last week and bought some Clearview towing mirrors - nice.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 584501

Reply By: Boystoy - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 04:53

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 04:53
Hi Willie,

Be careful when you first fit the Clearviews. They take a little time to get used-to. They are much wider than your original mirrors, so clearance needs to be considered. Also the left-hand mirror is a normal mirror, not the (convex, or concave, don't remember which one) reducing view of a standard left hand mirror.
However, once you get them adjusted to your likings, they are great. The little mirrors are great for keeping an eye on where the van wheels are relative to the side of the road, and also great for reversing down narrow driveways.
Enjoy!!

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 584502

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 08:48

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 08:48
G'day Neil,

I think the Clearview mirrors are wonderful.

After the last WA trip, I was so annoyed with not being able to tell if it was clear (because of those bloody curved - ha ha - mirrors) to pull back in after passing, that I decided I had to buy a set.

They are a big problem in my garage though which only just fits my car and my wifes little Aldi.

Cheers,

Willie.
FollowupID: 854540

Reply By: Arbat - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 01:17

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 01:17
The Clearviews will fold in!
AnswerID: 584503

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 02:31

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 02:31
Ahhhhhh - but how do you back in to a tight spot without external mirrors ?
FollowupID: 854541

Reply By: Arbat - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 09:30

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 09:30
Stick your head out the window Willie, like the hundreds of poor saps you see who can't back with mirrors anyhow. If you have that little space, how the hell do you get in and out of either vehicle?
AnswerID: 584504

Follow Up By: Turist - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 18:01

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 18:01
“Stick your head out the window Willie, like the hundreds of poor saps………”

I always shudder when I see this practice, especially if they also open the drivers door so they can stretch out to see to the rear.

Several years ago at my factory units a driver was doing just that to reverse into a parking bay with a brick pillar one side and a brick wall on the other.

Something went wrong, we will never know exactly what, maybe he sneezed, perhaps his right foot slipped but the result was devastating.
The car accelerated back and his head was totally removed from his torso.
I will not further describe the scene, terrible.

So Willie, keep your head mate.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

FollowupID: 854542

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 20:58

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 20:58
To get two cars into my smallish garage, we have to park side by side. My wife parks forwards with her drivers door in the centre and I back in, with my drivers door in the centre.

If I pulled in the passenger side mirror, I would not be able to to see to reverse in close to the garage wall. It would be a bit tough for me to poke my head out of the passenger window too.

So Bob, don't worry, I am not going to put myself in harms way.

I hope this clears up this highly contentious discussion !

Cheers,

Willie.
FollowupID: 854543

Reply By: Arbat - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 20:14

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 20:14
I'm not sure how this exchange has blown out. I was attempting a little humour Bob, as Willie seemed to be having trouble with his new ClearViews, I was in no-way condoning the practice of sticking your head out the window, or worse, the practice you describe. As a truck-driver (in a former life) I am endlessly appalled and bemused at the antics of many fellow nomads' pathetic attempts to back anything. Most particularly by those who have little or no idea what they are doing, having meaningless directions squawked at them (sometimes on a hand-held 2-way) by the Mrs, who has no idea either. LOL!
AnswerID: 584505

Our Sponsors