Mould in wardrobes

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 22:41
ThreadID: 128181 Views:3414 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
This is the first time we have been down in the freezing cold (Sydney & Canberra) in our BT (we live in Cairns and don't usually travel south in winter). There seems to be a lot of condensation at the joints on walls and roof of BT come morning. We have the heater (elec or diesel) on all night - perhaps that helps build mould (but don't tell me to turn the heater off!!).

Today I checked inside wardrobes - lots of black mould and moisture at the back. I have emptied both and washed out with strong solution of vinegar and water, and have elec heater in to completely dry.

Is there anything else I can do to keep moisture at bay?

Capt Norty's First Mate

Margaret & Norton

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bato - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 00:22

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 00:22
G'day Margaret & Norton,
Sue & I are on our 4th year staying in the Jindabyne caravan park.We are skiers and spend between 4 & 6 weeks during July & August.
The first 2 years we kept our Webasto running all night and suffered the same condensation problems you are experiencing.Last year we purchased a 1000w 5 fin column electric heater that we run 24/7.We use the Webasto at night before going to bed and then switch it off.I turn the Webasto on again before I get out of bed and then turn it off when we leave to go up the hill skiing.The column heater runs all the time and just keeps the chill out of the BT.
We have not had the condensation problem since using this system.
We have not had a mould problem.Possibley the mould is from the humid conditions in the tropics.

Cya Keith & Sue
Bato Keith & Susan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 584535

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 08:12

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 08:12
Margaret & Norton,

Q: Is there anything else I can do to keep moisture at bay?
A: Go somewhere warm.

We regularly travel south and experience the condensation regularly on the roof. It is when you get woken up at night with condensation drops hitting you in the face that it gets annoying.
At home in Noosa in humid conditions we often get mould on the outside of the house fridge and in the caravan we have had spots on the white roof that easily wipe off. As Bato said it might be due to the previous humidity up north.

Brian

Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 584536

Follow Up By: Turist - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 08:24

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 08:24
Sounds like too much heavy breathing Brian :-)

For Norton.
Oil of cloves will kill the spores, bleach and normal cleaning agents will only clean the surface, the mould will return as the spores are still there.

I can't remember the dilution rate for oil of cloves but Google should help.

Regards
Bob
(Who now lives in the sub tropics)
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

FollowupID: 854545

Reply By: Turist - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 19:23

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 19:23
From the local community here.

After cleaning the mouldy surface, vinegar and water popular here, mix 1/2 teaspoon oil of cloves with 1 litre water.
Use a spray bottle and apply to surfaces where mould was evident and overlap area.
Leave to dry.

In a cupboard that gets mould soak a small sponge with oil of cloves and leave in cupboard so fumes will attack mould spores.

Mould was a major issue after the floods and these remedies have proved to be the best solution to an obnoxious problem.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 584537

Reply By: Quicksilver - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 19:52

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 19:52
To solve the problem with humidity causing mould and musty odours in wardrobes, I use a moisture absorber. They are available in supermarkets - a plasic container with absorber beads, a fabric filter and a plastic mesh top.. I have used 2 brands,
'Damp Rid' is refillable with bags of the absorber beads. Hippo is sold as a throw away item, but I removed the fabric filter and refilled with the Damp Rid beads and all is good. You will be amazed at the amount of water that appears in the container. Each fill lasts about 60 days. To avoid container tipping over in robe, secure with a bit of blue tack and empty the water regularly.

Cheers, Denice
Quicksilver - Breakin Loose

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 584538

Reply By: MEG & Capt Norty - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 19:54

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 19:54
Many thanks for the advice. Will buy oil of cloves tomorrow - will be a lovely smell anyway. Our BT is stored on our property on the Tablelands, so the mould is not such a problem as in Cairns. I keep a couple of damp rid buckets in the BT whilst not in use - and that seems to solve the problem. The buckets fill with water every 6 weeks or so.

Will definitely tell Norty he has to go easy on the heavy breathing!!! He tells me you are all coming along to Rydal, so I look forward to catching up.

We do have a ceramic blower heater for when we are in caravan parks, and use their electricity ($40 per night at Vineyard). It keeps the van at a constant 22, but drops down to around 14-16 at night. The lovely, lovely Webasto we keep for non-power camp sites. Although I did have both going one morning in Canberra.

Many thanks and see you at Rydal.

MnN
Margaret & Norton

AnswerID: 584539

Reply By: Ontheroadagain - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 07:17

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 07:17
Norty.
Definitely go easy on the heavy breathing. Its not real good for a fellow of your age. When we get any mildue, we use Demostos, and it is really good. It even works at that place on the Tableland that you use to store your BT. Hope all is well. Will catch up soon. LOL J& C
AnswerID: 584540

Reply By: Finch's nest - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 19:44

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 19:44
AnswerID: 584541

Reply By: Finch's nest - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 19:52

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 19:52
Simple solution. It's all about ventalation. We leave one side of the 4 seasons hatch open to first click.Experiment till you get the correct air flow,you dont need much
Regards Clive & Joan.
AnswerID: 584542

Our Sponsors