Reversing camera

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 02:42
ThreadID: 128216 Views:10777 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'ay,
I have searched for this subject but majority of responses are from "pre-loved Bushtrackers for sale". I am intendinding to install a rear view camera on our 20' Bushtracker and also on the rear of the F250. The camera on the F250 I require to cover the tow connection and also traffic approaching from the rear and/or unseen collision points, etc.
Can members inform me what cameras they have, the pros and cons and whether hard wired or other is best. Any information will be appreciated so that an informed decision can be made.
Thank. Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Hob - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 04:10

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 04:10
We have a rear vision camera on the back of the van installed by SIM and this goes to a separate small screen on the dash (also by SIM) which allows constant rear vision at all times.

The 200 series vehicle has its own rear view camera which works when reverse gear is selected. I use this for hitching. This camera uses the screen inbuilt into the dash (VMS navigation system)

The van camera was installed by SIM during the van build and so I have a 12 pin plug connection with video going through the extra pins.

I find this all works fine

Alan
AnswerID: 584638

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 05:41

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 05:41
Greg,

We have the wired type of camera's fitted to the rear of vehicle and also caravan.
On the rear of the F250 Tub type body, we drilled a hole in the plastic beside the tailgate release handle and fitted the camera in there.
This gave good visibility to the rear of the vehicle and for hook up I attached a chain on one side of the tail gate at the right length so that when it was held angled by the chain, the camera gave good visibility of the tow coupling and I was able to back up to the caravan coupling perfectly.
We did however have a problem with the camera and SIM replaced them several times because they had condensation inside them. I believe it was because they were assembled in humid conditions in Asia and when they warmed up during use condensation formed.
A few months ago SIM replaced this camera with a tiny "Alpine" brand camera but because of it's size we had to mount it on top of the rear bumper bar and under the tailgate.
Depending on the height of your tow coupling in this position it can obscure some rear vision and although it is easy to line up the van, it is harder to see when they are in exactly the right place to connect.

The camera on the van with fitted after pick up and they just ran a cable along the chassis to behind the shower on rear right and then up through the cupboards to the centre of the van above the rear window.
It has its own connector plug at the rear of the F250.

On the dash near the F250 light switch we have a toggle switch to change between the 2 cameras.

The screen that we have is a fold down type that is fitted under a roof mounted consul unit.

You need to make sure that the two camera's are both on the same type of video system, ie PAL or the other type so that you can flick the toggle switch between cameras and not have to adjust the screen to the correct format when you change.

At night if the following car lights become annoying it is easy to just flick the monitor up and go back to the rear vision mirror that is behind the monitor.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 584639

Reply By: Googs & Zelda - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 20:59

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 20:59
G' day Greg,
We also have an Alpine camera on the F250 which is connected to a single din head set with a flip screen that is mounted on the rear bar and is great for coupling up which only works in reverse,on the B/T we have a camera installed on the top back done at the factory that is wired through a 12 pin plug, to view both cameras I access this by the touch screen on the head set, the camera on the B/T can be set on rear vison all the time or just for reversing, F250 just reversing.

Regards Dave
AnswerID: 584640

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 02:42

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 02:42
Before you spend big $$ check these out.
The last one I have used for several years.
I had one on the F truck, another on Silverado #1 and now one on Silverado #2.
The picture quality is surprisingly good.
The same E-Bay search, "Car Camera" will show lots of monitors.

Bob

Camera

Camera

Camera I have been using
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 584641

Our Sponsors