Giles weather station tours likely to be closed

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 23:36
ThreadID: 128266 Views:6732 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Our tour of the Giles weather station at Warakurna was the highlight of our Great Central Road trip. Due to changes in staffing, these informative and interesting tours of the weather station, including watching the release of the early morning weather balloon, may not be able to continue beyond 25 September. Phone (08) 8956 7358 for tour bookings, and remember that they work on SA time - so it is an 8.30 am start on SA not WA time.

I have a media release from the Senior Meteorologist, Media and Community Relations of the Bureau of Meteorology on my news page at News Page
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 20:50

Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 20:50
The Senior Meteorologist is trying to get something in place following the staff changes which will take place late October and has asked which time would suit travellers better - 11 am or 4 pm?

EDIT: I have realised and had it confirmed that these are SA times - that brings it to 9:30 am or 2:30 pm WA time.

The camping area at Warakurna Roadhouse is acceptable.

Feedback on this thread welcomed from Great Central Road travellers and future travellers.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 584754

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Nov 13, 2012 at 08:15

Tuesday, Nov 13, 2012 at 08:15
Confirming that the tours are only held Monday to Friday.

Guided tours of station are available at 11am, Mon to Fri (South Aust. time)
Meet at Visitors Centre for guided tours of station. (Please be sunsmart)

Also

Weather balloon releases can be viewed daily, looking towards the radar tower, from the car park near the visitors centre, at the following times:

• Non Daylight Savings: 8:45am and 2:45pm. (South Aust. time)
• Daylight Savings: 9:45am and 3:45pm. (South Aust. time)
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 854647

Our Sponsors