Webasto Heater

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 23, 2012 at 21:43
ThreadID: 128345 Views:4354 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day,
Can anyone tell me where I would get a top for the Webasto diesel heater tank at a reasonable price. Since I got our BT in 2004 I've had the first one split from,I was told, over tighting. BT gave me another one for $20. Lost that one from not tighting it enough. Got another one from somewhere in Cairns for about $30 from memory. It has now split, from over tighting again. Only one BT has is for the newer tanks and will not fit ours. Rang Adam at Webasto in Sydney and he can send me one for $53 plus postage ! Not an option as no doubt the next one will also split or fall off. The one I need looks just like a top off a 25 ltr drum,only it has a coarse thread. Maybe someone could give me a way to fix my split one other than getting plastic welding done,which would be about the cost of the new one.
Lawrie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush - Tuesday, Oct 23, 2012 at 23:50

Tuesday, Oct 23, 2012 at 23:50
Lawrie,

When you get one maybe just put a little piece of duct tape overlapping it and the neck of the tank to prevent it coming off, or needing to be tightened too much.

Sorry I can't help with actually replacing it.

AnswerID: 584906

Follow Up By: Gone Bush - Wednesday, Oct 24, 2012 at 04:13

Wednesday, Oct 24, 2012 at 04:13
Lawrie,

Not sure what State you are in but when we were in the Sunshine coast last, I found these people exceptionally helpful.

Suncoast Caravan Repairs

Might be worth giving them a call.

FollowupID: 854703

Reply By: Tracks n About - Wednesday, Oct 24, 2012 at 07:59

Wednesday, Oct 24, 2012 at 07:59
Thanks Stephen. Never thought of the gaffa tap solution. May even just use that on my present split cap.Would just need to punch a small breather hole in it. After all how often do I need to take the thing off to refuel. We live about two minutes from Suncoast Caravan Repairs. Have had dealings with them for many years,and as you said they are very helpfull. However when I went in and enquired about a cap for the Webasto tank,I was quiet bluntly told that they only stock the better products and I would be lucky to get the cap I was after anywhere. Maybe the lady was just having a bad day ! I will go back to them if the need arises as this was the first time I wasn't happy with the service.
Lawrie.
AnswerID: 584907

Follow Up By: Gone Bush - Wednesday, Oct 24, 2012 at 09:33

Wednesday, Oct 24, 2012 at 09:33
Having worked in a retail business dealing with the wonderful public, I'll always be sympathetic to someone having a bad day (not implying that you are not sympathetic).

When I was at Suncoast last year I needed a repair kit for our Trail-a-Mate quite urgently. They had one, I bought it, and then took the Trail-a-Mate to a hydraulic shop just on the curve of Enterprise Rd where BT are. They fixed it without needing anything from the kit.

I went back to Suncoast and started to say: I bought this from you earlier today... and the lady cut me off and asked if I wanted to return it. She was getting miffed a little, understandably.

I said no, I want to thank you for helping me once more and gave her a box of chocolates I had just bought for her. She started crying because she had such a bad day. I bought one for the man at the hydraulic shop too (he didn't charge me anything for his work either).

So we were all happy that day.

FollowupID: 854704

Reply By: grumpyolephartz - Wednesday, Oct 24, 2012 at 08:27

Wednesday, Oct 24, 2012 at 08:27
Pretty much the same tank we had on our Webasto I am sure. A ready replacement can be the Cox Rider Mower fuel cap - CAP FUEL VENTED BUTTRESS 2.1/4:part no. COPCF01 or it was.

I used one for a while and it was pretty successful in keeping diesel from spillage.
AnswerID: 584908

Reply By: Motley - Wednesday, Oct 24, 2012 at 08:49

Wednesday, Oct 24, 2012 at 08:49
The one offered by Webasto is a modified cap. You can't over tighten it and it has a spring loaded cable so that the cap is attached to the diesel tank.

I got one from Webasto after the original one split and haven't had a problem since

Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 584909

Follow Up By: Tracks n About - Wednesday, Oct 24, 2012 at 19:02

Wednesday, Oct 24, 2012 at 19:02
G'Day Motley,
This sounds like the one that Peter at BT loaned me to see if it fitted. It has a white centre piece under the cap with a cable and spring attached to it. It only screws on about a half turn though. Peter hasn't said how much this one is,said to see if it fits first. Was the one you got from Webasto $53 ? Think I'll investigate the Cox ride on mower fuel cap,as mentioned in replys. Other than that the gaffa tape will have to do the job for the time being.
Lawrie.
FollowupID: 854705

Follow Up By: grumpyolephartz - Thursday, Oct 25, 2012 at 06:07

Thursday, Oct 25, 2012 at 06:07
The Cox rider mower cap is about $22 or it was a couple of years ago Lawrie.

Cheers John
FollowupID: 854706

Reply By: Tracks n About - Wednesday, Oct 24, 2012 at 17:59

Wednesday, Oct 24, 2012 at 17:59
Stephen,
Did the bloke at the hydraulic place mention,by chance,that his neighbour had a BT. As my neighbour mentioned ,about that time,that he'd fixed something or other for a bloke with a BT. Probably not the same,as Graham didn't mention about the chocolates.
I know what you mean about having a "Bad Day" when in retail business. I had my own butcher shop in Mooloolaba for 27 years. So had a few of them. That is exactly why I said that I would still go back to Suncoast Caravan Centre if the need arose.
Lawrie.
AnswerID: 584910

Follow Up By: Gone Bush - Wednesday, Oct 24, 2012 at 20:51

Wednesday, Oct 24, 2012 at 20:51
Just jumped onto Google Earth to refresh my memory. The hydraulics company was Contract Hydraulics.

No mention of neighbours having a BT Lawrie. He actually stopped the work he was doing at the time to help me and didn't charge me. Hence the choccies. Very nice person.

FollowupID: 854707

Our Sponsors