Exhaust

Submitted: Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 19:53
ThreadID: 128375 Views:3104 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi , I probably should have posted this in the motor vehicle section. However, it appears that, that section does not get used!!
Has anyone out ther fitted a 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust to their 200 series cruiser, and if so. What is the difference in power and economy?
Cheers Spydor & Robyn
Spydor
Everybody makes me happy! Some when they arrive, Some when they leave !!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Spannl - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2012 at 03:13

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2012 at 03:13
Hi
The best place to answer your is the LCOOL web site there are lots of treads on exhaust and chips.
I am looking at the Taipan exhaust after I sort out. The GVM upgrade on the 200.

Cheers
Laurie
AnswerID: 584981

Reply By: Panna Trackers - Saturday, Nov 10, 2012 at 07:25

Saturday, Nov 10, 2012 at 07:25
Have just fitted a 3 inch exhaust (Beaudesert) to our v8 troopy. The increase in power and fuel economy is very pleasing.
The fuel economy without the van has come down to 12.5lt per 100ks.
Have only had one short trip from margaret river to walpole with the van on and that came in at 18.5lt per 100ks. It will be interesting to see how the economy comes in over a longer trip.
As for the power, we had the car put on the dyno before and after and the increase in power was 28%.
Hope this helps with your decision.
Cheers
Trevor
AnswerID: 584982

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Sunday, Nov 11, 2012 at 06:52

Sunday, Nov 11, 2012 at 06:52
Thanks for this info Trevor.
Much "fuel for the fire" when replacing a system, maybe one of the more economical methods of boosting fuel economy. Any idea of what the Exhaust Gas Temp figures would be?
FollowupID: 854748

Follow Up By: Panna Trackers - Sunday, Nov 11, 2012 at 07:33

Sunday, Nov 11, 2012 at 07:33
My understanding of EGT is that the more fuel you burn to achieve the required tourque to move the vehicle the higher your EGT will be.
The dyno showed a similar increase in tourque to the power increase at the same revs. Greater power for less fuel lower EGT.
One of the advantages of the beaudesert exhaust over the standard exhaust is the fitting for an EGT in the turbo dump pipe.
FollowupID: 854749

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Sunday, Nov 11, 2012 at 22:18

Sunday, Nov 11, 2012 at 22:18
Yep!
Concur with the idea, just wondering if there were any actual figures to go with it!
We may yet have to re-do the 80 series motor in 2013 so am fiddling with thoughts of how to / what to / which motor etc and along with that is to have the exhaust go up in dia - just love to have a V8 twin turbo intercooled burbling away under an 80 series DX bonnet!
I get to hire and drive the Toyota utes for towing trials trailers and carvans at work and are real tempted (if only I had the skills & expertise) run the hire ute under our O/H crane, lift out the donk and swap for the 1HZ and then the V8 into the 80 series - if only - dream on! :-) :-)
FollowupID: 854750

Follow Up By: Panna Trackers - Wednesday, Nov 14, 2012 at 06:20

Wednesday, Nov 14, 2012 at 06:20
I dont have a pyrometer on this vehivle yet so no figures. Our previous tug was a turbo charged (no intercooler) 6cyl cruiser with a pyrometer fitted after the turbo. not ideal It is better to have the pyrometer before the turbo to keep track of the gas temp into the turbo.
EGT is not a constant thing. It is easly controlled by how you drive the vehicle. Work to hard and the EGT will rise. Change down a gear, not working as hard and the EGT will drop off.
I got to the stage when towing where I would drive the vehicle by the temperature shown on the pyrometer.
I would attempt to keep the EGT between 350 and 450 and never over 500 for any length of time.
I think the new exhaust on the V8, combined with the inter cooler and an air ram on the snorkel is helping the engine to breathe better and cooler.
FollowupID: 854751

Our Sponsors