Swift 500 oven problem

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 13, 2012 at 05:21
ThreadID: 128385 Views:3701 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I was about to bake a cake in the oven section of the Swift 500. I depress the control knob and press the igniter button and the flame appears in the oven and look normal. When II take the pressure of the control knob the flame goes out. Can anyone help with this problem. I cannot find any info in previous posts.
(I have told one white lie in this story of gloom, can you detect it?
Thanks. Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: R&R Leisure Time - Tuesday, Nov 13, 2012 at 05:29

Tuesday, Nov 13, 2012 at 05:29
Greg

At a guess I would say it is not you baking the cake

Ron
You Only Live Once

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 585003

Reply By: SMICK - Tuesday, Nov 13, 2012 at 05:29

Tuesday, Nov 13, 2012 at 05:29
How many cakes have you baked Greg?
Once the flame appears in the oven continue pressing the knob in and hold for about 5 seconds,
Michael
AROUND AUSTRALIA AT 80 KAYS.
Bushtrackerly Yours
Michael Mnew
SMICK

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 585004

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Tuesday, Nov 13, 2012 at 05:31

Tuesday, Nov 13, 2012 at 05:31
You sure you were baking Greg? :-)

With the problems we have had with the Swift it has involved the thermo couples, if they are faulty or out of adjustment they don't do their job detecting the temp and shut it down.

Have you tried a call to Swift? They have always been helpful for us.
AnswerID: 585005

Reply By: Spydor - Tuesday, Nov 13, 2012 at 20:20

Tuesday, Nov 13, 2012 at 20:20
Greg, We have the same oven with the same problem. Mick is right. the sensors get out of whack. With ours we have to hold the knob in for approximately 45- 60 seconds, before the flame will stay on. After that, the oven performs pefectly. Thought about a new stove, but for the money and the amount of times we actually use the oven section, we decided against it. Robyn doesn't mind, because i 'm the one that has to kneel on the floor and hold the knob in!!!!
Cheers Spydor & Robyn
Spydor
Everybody makes me happy! Some when they arrive, Some when they leave !!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 585006

Reply By: 2 Jays - Tuesday, Nov 13, 2012 at 20:52

Tuesday, Nov 13, 2012 at 20:52
Hi Greg, I had the same problem last year.
Got the supposedly best gas man in town to look at it and he said the problem was in the actual valve that the knob attaches to and then quoted me $600 to fix it.
That didn't seem like such a great deal, so I bought a new valve, complete with thermocouple, direct from Swift for about $75 plus postage and installed it myself.
Bit of a bugger of a job as you have to take the oven out and drill out 6 or 8 pop rivets to get the top off to access the valve.
It's not really difficult, just slow and fiddly, especially reinstalling the thermocouple at the bottom of the oven.
Anyway, it's working fine, apart from the two small explosions and subsequent fires.
( One white lie in there also)

Regards

Jeff
AnswerID: 585007

Reply By: CROW EATERS - Wednesday, Nov 14, 2012 at 08:21

Wednesday, Nov 14, 2012 at 08:21
Thanks Jeff,
We felt bad about our explosions until I past a parachutist without strings going down as I was going up.
Greg.
AnswerID: 585008

Reply By: John & Sally - Thursday, Dec 20, 2012 at 10:00

Thursday, Dec 20, 2012 at 10:00
Hi CROWEATERS,
Experienced the same issue with our stove.
If you remove the knobs and place a little aluminium foil inside the knob and replace it should fix your problem.
The shaft is not being depressed in fare nough and so the auto cut off switch overides and closes off the gas.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
john
AnswerID: 585009

Our Sponsors