Tassie Fares on Spirit of Tasmania.

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 04, 2012 at 22:30
ThreadID: 128418 Views:5962 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Remember in the Tips for Touring Tassie information, it says you need to come for at least 3 months as there is lots to see & do, well there is now another reason,
I have just booked our return fare for us & the van for 2013 the price even with a special was $2122.00 & that's both ways in the off season rates.
So much for our highway to Melbourne.
Just has to be the most expensive bit of highway in Australia.
It is still a lovely place, but you will only want to pay that once as that's a lot of miles you can cover over there, with that much fuel.
Regards Peter.

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: surfy53 - Wednesday, Dec 05, 2012 at 00:22

Wednesday, Dec 05, 2012 at 00:22
That is bloody mad. We took our rig over in April last year for nine weeks.
$1750 return with a cabin.
Some people will be thinking twice about going.
Chris.
AnswerID: 585081

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Dec 05, 2012 at 00:40

Wednesday, Dec 05, 2012 at 00:40
At that rate Pete, I would have thought that it might be best to find somewhere near Melbourne to store the van in future, as you probably don't use it a lot on the small island. Then you would only need to take the F250 to and from.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 585082

Follow Up By: Tassie Bushies - Thursday, Dec 06, 2012 at 01:13

Thursday, Dec 06, 2012 at 01:13
Hi Brian & Margaret,
In actual fact we usually use the van in Tassie at least 6 or 7 weeks ourselves while we are back here each year.
Yep 4 of them are in deer season.
One must have ones comforts after a hard long days slog up & worse still, round mountains, putting up with Leaches, March Flies, & Cockatoes, that hot meal shower & comfy bed is worth a fair bit.
So we don't have any choice really.
Regards Peter.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 854793

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Wednesday, Dec 05, 2012 at 03:56

Wednesday, Dec 05, 2012 at 03:56
I'm glad we visited Tassie in 2005 and stayed 8 weeks, we justified the ferry cost compared to free camping, we only used van parks for 5 nights. We enjoyed our time immensly but with the costs now being charged it was probably our one and only visit with the van.
AnswerID: 585083

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Dec 05, 2012 at 09:01

Wednesday, Dec 05, 2012 at 09:01
We went for seven weeks, and waited until we could have that long as a bare minimum. It was a once only. Well and truly worth it for the convenience of having the caravan, to see wonderful and varied scenery and places, and to meet the friendliest people - that latter being the biggest plus.

We travelled only short distances most days, so the saving on fuel went a long way to offset the ferry cost.

All the harder for Peter and other Tasmanians. We only have to pay once - but they have to pay every time.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 585084

Reply By: JohnS - Wednesday, Dec 05, 2012 at 15:48

Wednesday, Dec 05, 2012 at 15:48
We are over in Tassie @ the moment. The cost all up was $2150-00 return for car and van, twin berth for us on the way over as it was @ night & lounge seats for the day voyage back. That was for a landcruiser and 20ft Bushie.
http://chrisjohntravellog.blogspot.com.au/
AnswerID: 585085

Follow Up By: Tassie Bushies - Thursday, Dec 06, 2012 at 01:57

Thursday, Dec 06, 2012 at 01:57
Hi Chris & John,
Nice to know you have come to visit our wonderful island, I had a look at your blog to, you have some very nice photos, it seems like your enjoying yourselves,
Are you going to be around in February to come to the mini muster near Richmond? & the Penny Farthing Races, I have sent you a Member message.

For others reading this post,

It is not necessary to book any seating or accomidation when travelling on a day trip on the Spirit, as you have three decks to wander around on & sit where ever you like, you are just not allowed to lie down because you take up to much room on the seating. But there is no reason why you can't lie on the floor especially up on deck 10 where there is lots of room, but it is just great to sit around & talk to people. Who want's to sleep all through the day, (leading Question?) I guess it may depend what some people do all night?
Regards Peter.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 854794

Reply By: JohnS - Friday, Dec 07, 2012 at 17:01

Friday, Dec 07, 2012 at 17:01
Hello Peter
Thanks for the invite however we will be back on the mainland by feb. We are booked to go back early Jan but are going to try and extend for a few weeks.
Thanks again
John
AnswerID: 585086

Our Sponsors