Van Insurance

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 05, 2012 at 23:25
ThreadID: 128424 Views:2799 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just received a huge shock from RACQ Insurance - a 26 % increace in premium.
Have quote from CIL of nearly $1500, RACQ $1046. Insured value $110,000.
Does anybody have good dealings with another reputable company that I may approach?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Thursday, Dec 06, 2012 at 05:34

Thursday, Dec 06, 2012 at 05:34
Hi ScoobyDonOz

I suggest you place more emphasis on what you can get in, and the suitability of, your cover, rather than the cost of that cover, and when doing such comparisons, try to compare benefit with benefit against cost. (ie Find more than one company that offers the same benefit and then compare those premiums.)
I have heard that CIL provide a better recovery cover benefit (Caravan and Tug) than most others even though it costs more.
Some companies have limits on the size of what they will recover, and some will tow the Tug and leave the van behind (fat lot of good out in the back blocks).
Check out what your going to be covered for, and then worry about the cost by comparing apples with apples.

Cheers
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 585100

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Dec 07, 2012 at 05:21

Friday, Dec 07, 2012 at 05:21
John,
In relation to your comment
" I have heard that CIL provide a better recovery cover benefit (Caravan and Tug) "

Way back in 2001 when we had a crash and were insured with CIL they were very good to deal with in regard to the caravan repair, BUT they argued a lot about the towing salvage bill, The van was on its side but the Toyota was undamaged with the rear held up by the safety chains. The tow truck operator went to a lot of trouble to winch the Toyota up onto the tilt tray by pulling the tray under the vehicle before releasing the safety chains.
To do it any other way would have caused substantial damage to the rear of the vehicle.
When I explained why there was extra time spent on the salvage CIL said they were not interested in the tow vehicle, only the caravan that they had insured. They eventually paid but the assessor wasn't happy about it.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 854797

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Friday, Dec 07, 2012 at 04:29

Friday, Dec 07, 2012 at 04:29
The big increases are to be expected... you are paying to recoup their oiut-goings incurred through flood and fire in recent times.

I have always stayed with CIL even if they are a little more expensive. I have heard nothing but good reports from people who have had claims...... this is pretty good for the insurance industry that usually ranks well below second hand car sales people and door to door salesmen in term of ethics.

John
AnswerID: 585101

Follow Up By: muddywaters - Saturday, Dec 08, 2012 at 19:45

Saturday, Dec 08, 2012 at 19:45
Hi all,
This year have gone to CMCA insurance. It costs $60 pa to join but the premiums were much cheaper $1850 for F250 & BT Aust wide, seems OK. Got on to them through the HF Radio Club magazine Ken Tame & Associates in Melb I dealt with.
Regards Andrew
FollowupID: 854798

Our Sponsors