Angle of the dangle...

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 03:00
ThreadID: 128448 Views:3430 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone...

Just a quick technical "towing setup" question...

What are the thoughts regarding setting the tow hitch at a height where the BT chassis is level, dropping down or rising up??? And if it is not level, just how much "slope" do you suggest?

Look forward to some suggestion soon.

Regards,

Craig and Jan, alias Fugly
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 04:14

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 04:14
All the so called experts say that the caravan should ride level, but if you have say 250Kgs ball weight by raising or lowering the tow hitch I cannot see how the height of the ball can make any difference to how it tow if it is up or down at the front.

What I know is important though is that you should adjust the tension on the WD bars so that the tow vehicle is running level in the same manner as it does without a trailer attached.

Some overloaded set-ups you can see the rear of the car down and the front of the van down.

But I have seen a number of vehicles that are not overloaded on the ball, that is the car is level and the van is either up or down at the front depending on the height of the car's towbar. These set-ups are able to tow perfectly safely.

From a Police point of view it would be best to have the car and caravan both as close to level as possible so as not to attract attention to yourself.

I know BTi would disagree but when I studied Physics many years ago it didn't matter if the attached load was up or down, just the size of the force on the hitch.
If anyone can prove this wrong I would be interested to here it.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 585166

Follow Up By: braggy - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 17:43

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 17:43
Hi Brian

If the hitch height was higher,
would not more weight be shifted to the rear of the van
like a see saw, pivoting on the wheels.

I know when I have my cars (LR D4) air suspension in off road height,(+50 mm)
my KK (single axle) does not tow as well at hi way speed

Cheers Ken
FollowupID: 854826

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Dec 20, 2012 at 06:33

Thursday, Dec 20, 2012 at 06:33
Ken,

If you have a 100kg man sitting at one end of a See Saw, I don't think that his weight changes if he is up in the air or down on the ground, so the way I see it the ball weight would also remain the same.

With "Load Sharing Simplicity Suspension" I also believe that the weight on each wheel would remain the same independent of the tow-ball height.

With your cars (LR D4) air suspension in off road height,(+50 mm), you have changed the ride height of the vehicle and that may be the cause of the trailer not towing as well.
You would have to lower the tow-ball height (-50 mm) and tow the van again so that the van's tow point was then at the same height as before compare with the way it towed at before.
This way you could determine of van no longer being level was causing the problem or if it was the different suspension setting on the LR D4 that causes the problems.

Brian

FollowupID: 854827

Reply By: Silver and Tinks - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 20:31

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 20:31
Hi Guys

There a couple of differences in not towing level and ball weight is not one of them.

But the suspension geometry on the van is altered if your van is dramatically high or low at the front.

On a dual axle setup this can also leed to increased tyre wear.

That is why the hayman reece hitch has variable height settings to get the van as level as possible.

By having a level van you also reduce the opportunity for tail sway.

Scott
AnswerID: 585167

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Dec 20, 2012 at 06:19

Thursday, Dec 20, 2012 at 06:19
Scott,

With load sharing Simplicity suspension then I believe that the weight will remain the same independent of the angle of the van up or down.

What are your thoughts on that?

Brian

FollowupID: 854828

Reply By: Turist - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2012 at 03:13

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2012 at 03:13
The other issue is that if the BT is high at the front it is running uphill all the time.
Consider the extra fuel used as well as the extra load on the transmission.

If the nose is low of course the opposite is the case.
The van will be running downhill all the time and although this will save fuel it has to be offset against the wear on the brakes.
:-)
Merry Christmas

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 585168

Follow Up By:- Thursday, Dec 20, 2012 at 16:03

Thursday, Dec 20, 2012 at 16:03
Bob your assessment is true with American imports but Dr Karl says it has no effect on fuel consumption with rice burners.......and Dr Karl is the guru on all things.

Merry Christmas to you an yours.
FollowupID: 854829

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2012 at 23:01

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2012 at 23:01
I worry about you sometimes Bob.

Merry Christmas & Happy New year
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 585169

Our Sponsors