Eighty Mile Beach

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 27, 2012 at 06:47
ThreadID: 128465 Views:8192 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Can any one suggest any free camping or otherwise long term (month or so) on Eight Mile Beach, Western Australia.
Also any such places south of Port Headland.
We are taking is slow to Perth.
Thanks Greg & Joy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Dec 27, 2012 at 09:32

Thursday, Dec 27, 2012 at 09:32
Hi Greg and Joy

While there is a caravan park at 80 mile beach, i'm pretty sure you can't access the beach for free camping.

Towards the coast from Whim Creek is unserviced free camping at Balla Balla.

For one night stops, Main Roads WA have a few reasonable 24 hour rest areas along the Highway.

Low cost to the north of Karratha at the beach is Cleaverville and a similar low cost campground south of Karratha at 40 Mile (Gnoorea Point).

At Onlsow there is unserviced free camping on the Ashburton River with a permit required for longer stays than three days.

More about these Free and low cost camping WA

When you get to the the Ningaloo coast there are some lovely places along the coast both in the National Park and on the stations. This would be my choice of area if wanting to stay a while.Ningaloo Camping

I hope this helps

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 585192

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Thursday, Dec 27, 2012 at 17:31

Thursday, Dec 27, 2012 at 17:31
I would drive straight past Whim Creek and Balla Balla. The latter is a mosquito and sand fly infested mangrove swamp - with no redeeming features IMHO.

John
AnswerID: 585193

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Dec 28, 2012 at 08:30

Friday, Dec 28, 2012 at 08:30
Not very appealing is it John? BallaBalla is thought to mean "lots of mud".

As far as i know, Whim Creek Hotel is still closed. They used to allow overnight stays for their patrons.

mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 854834

Follow Up By: Toyman - Friday, Dec 28, 2012 at 21:11

Friday, Dec 28, 2012 at 21:11
Whim Creek was open when we went through a couple of months ago, but a recent article said it was closed on 3rd Nov.
http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/2011/11/02/3354521.htm

John
"He who dies with the most toys wins"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 854835

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Dec 28, 2012 at 21:31

Friday, Dec 28, 2012 at 21:31
Thanks John. Last time i checked it was still closed with nothing looking like happening, but i have been a bit behind with keeping on top of changes. That article was from last year when it was closed.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 854836

Follow Up By: Toyman - Friday, Dec 28, 2012 at 21:47

Friday, Dec 28, 2012 at 21:47
Maybe they are doing tours there?
There were several caravans and a small bus.
We did not stop just drove in and out (been there before) but did see people entering the Pub section.

John
"He who dies with the most toys wins"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 854837

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Dec 28, 2012 at 23:03

Friday, Dec 28, 2012 at 23:03
It is showing on the Karratha Visitor Centre website, saying the hotel offers accommodation and meals but no fuel. I am following it up thanks to your post here John.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 854838

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 02:43

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 02:43
The update from Karratha VIC

The Whim Creek Hotel is - as you found - closed for this feasibility study and they are still studying.

We do not know when they open again. Currently when you try to turn off the highway to approach the building they have placed a mount of soil in front of the building as a barrier so no one can get close to the hotel.

This is all we know at the moment.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 854839

Reply By: Goodpal50 - Saturday, Dec 29, 2012 at 19:58

Saturday, Dec 29, 2012 at 19:58
It is not free but when we stayed a few years ago (2006/7) it was pretty cheap. Turn off to Cape Kerauden just west past the Pardoo roadhouse between 80 mile beach and Port Headland.
There are numerous areas to camp and avery wide estuary that completely drains at low tide. Walking across it you find coral, octopi, oysters etc and fishing can be good at high tide either in the estuary or off the beach.

The best guides for free and cheap camp sites in WA are "Camp sites in the North of WA" and "Campsites in the South ( of Perth) in WA". They are available at camping shops and some newsagents. They had numerous sites that weren't in the Camps Book.

Just west of Boome and good spots,but they cost (were reasonable), are Barn Hill Station and Port Smith Caravan Park.

From Port Smith you can drive out for some great fishing through aboriginal lands to the west to mud creek and to the east out to some great limestone cliffs where you can get mackeral and trevally ( we did it in August). Also a great bird sanctuary there.

North of Carnarvon is the blowholes near Pt Quobba. Great location but again a small cost.

South of Gerallton try Sandy Point, once again not free but very cheap when we were there. and north Coronation Beach looked good but we didn't stay there.

Hope this helps.

Mike and Margaret
AnswerID: 585194

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Dec 31, 2012 at 01:37

Monday, Dec 31, 2012 at 01:37
Hi Mike and Margaret

I think you mean Sandy Cape which is ten kilometres north of Jurien - roughly half way between Geraldton and Perth. Minimum stay of four nights, but extensions can be applied for. $15 per night. Pit toilets, dump point near information bay at entrance. Gets very crowded school holidays and long weekends.

There are very few free or low cost camping opportunities coming down the coastline. Most, but not necessarily all, are in my link.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 854840

Reply By: Wherrol - Sunday, Dec 30, 2012 at 04:25

Sunday, Dec 30, 2012 at 04:25
Hi folks,

We rather enjoyed Cleverville Beach just north of Karatha.

Info on the campsite tab.

Cheers

Sharon
AnswerID: 585195

Reply By: Elvis - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 21:05

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 21:05
Hi Guys & Galls. Before leaving the Pilbara we stayed at the very top end of eighty mile Beach, “Port Smith Lagoon Caravan Park” It has lots to offer at very reasonable prices. Mud and sand crabs in the lagoon and heaps of great fishing off the white cliffs. Every Thursday night the park owners provides a fresh seafood cook up at $5 each all you can eat and the local Indigenes owners provide a band for a good old dance and sing-along, this park also allows well behaved dogs. “A couple of things to note” The beach/lagoon is about 3 KS from the van site and the white cliffs about 12 KS if your going to visit the white cliffs, I would suggest to lower your tyre pressure, the park provides air to reflate your tyres when you return . “O” and one more thing, at night “Don't forget the Aero- guard” “Midge's” “Midge's” “Midge's” “Midge's” Happy Tripp’en Elvis
AnswerID: 585196

Our Sponsors