Cargobay Door Hinge

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 29, 2012 at 01:01
ThreadID: 128467 Views:3391 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day,
Can anybody give me a way of doing a temporary repair on a cargo bay door hinge. Ours just broke off as we were quickly getting the annex down before a big storm hit near Oakey. Tried to ring BTi,but they must be closed till the new year.
Lawrie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: galacticbob - Saturday, Dec 29, 2012 at 03:17

Saturday, Dec 29, 2012 at 03:17
Lawrie

Super glue should do the trick to get you going .
Worth a try as I have used it to patch up my rubber seals around the cargo door.
Best of luck
Bob

Clarke rubber could have some hinges.
Sikaflex will also do the trick (quick drying)
AnswerID: 585197

Reply By: galacticbob - Saturday, Dec 29, 2012 at 03:32

Saturday, Dec 29, 2012 at 03:32
Clark Rubber Toowoomba | Clark Rubber Your Local Pool Shop in ...
www.clarkrubber.com.au/toowoomba.html
Clark Rubber Toowoomba, Clark Rubber, Your Local Pool Shop in Toowoomba plus foam, rubber, kids toys, pool inflatables and more. Find you local store ...
Google+ page
23-25 Prescott Street Toowoomba QLD 4350
(07) 4638 0291

Don't know your area very well, but if your near Toowoomba Clark may be worth a call
AnswerID: 585198

Reply By: Tracks n About - Saturday, Dec 29, 2012 at 17:17

Saturday, Dec 29, 2012 at 17:17
Thanks Bob. Will give Clarke rubber a call this morning. I gaffa taped it on during the storm yesterday to keep the water out. I've found a piece of webbing strap in my "GOOD STUFF" box,and have decided to sicaflex it onto the hinge as a temporary fix. Will still gaffa tape it around as well. Any thoughts on how to get the old hinge off ? I've taken the screws out,but it also has also had sixaflex put on,and doesn't want to come off. Once I get a new hinge,I guess I'll can just force it off. Heading to Rudds Pub at Nobby today. Think it's a little closer to Toowoomba
Will then slip into Toomoomba on Monday. Have a Happy New Year.
Lawrie.
AnswerID: 585199

Follow Up By: galacticbob - Saturday, Dec 29, 2012 at 20:27

Saturday, Dec 29, 2012 at 20:27
Lawrie

I really don't know for sure, but I think if you were to apply a little heat to the hinge it would then be easier to prise it off.

I am sure there would be a few of us out there who would be interested in knowing how you get on. So keep us informed.

bob
FollowupID: 854841

Reply By: Strpr - Sunday, Dec 30, 2012 at 18:06

Sunday, Dec 30, 2012 at 18:06
Hi
Hinge is called Centreflex, can be purchased from Strutsaustralia.com.au or just Google Centreflex for a supplier.
Is easy to change. Can only buy it in 3 meter lengths and costs about $80 from memory.
Regards
Pete
AnswerID: 585200

Follow Up By: Tracks n About - Sunday, Dec 30, 2012 at 18:58

Sunday, Dec 30, 2012 at 18:58
Thanks Pete. If they're easy to replace there must be some secret to getting the old ones off. I've already tried. The sixaflex is sticking them on like bleep to a blanket. Have googled Centreflex and found a Melbourne number,so will call them Monday to see if there's somewhere near Toowoomba I can get it. If not I'll give BTi a call and get some sent to me. Not sure when their back from the Xmas break though.
Lawrie.
FollowupID: 854842

Follow Up By: grumpyolephartz - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 01:15

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 01:15
Lawrie, you could go to a larger bus service place as I think it is used for bus door hinges. You know, school buses, and town bus services.
FollowupID: 854843

Reply By: Strpr - Sunday, Dec 30, 2012 at 19:18

Sunday, Dec 30, 2012 at 19:18
From memory there are a few screws holding that piece of hinge attached to the van. I do remember belting it with a hammer and chisel to get it off though. When I go over to the house to water today I will have a look to refresh my memory. I have spare (remainder)centreflex here ( Adelaide) but can't get it to you.
Pete
AnswerID: 585201

Reply By: Tracks n About - Sunday, Dec 30, 2012 at 19:24

Sunday, Dec 30, 2012 at 19:24
I've had the srews out of the van section and had a go lightly. Wasn't game to "get stuck into it" until I manage to get a new one. Thanks for your reply.
Lawrie.
AnswerID: 585202

Reply By: Downunder - Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 09:11

Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 09:11
Had a door hinge start to split on me back in September coming back from Lawn Hill. I rang bushtracker and gave them the exact measurements (ordered new hinge for both sides) and asked them to post them to Emerald post office where I would pick them up in a few days.
Everything arrived no problem.
Depending on how many tools you normally carry you may be able to do the change on the road but most would need to find somewhere with tools or carry out temporary repairs and do the job when you get home as I did.
Removal of the old hinge is a bit of an effort as they are well glued with Sikaflex but should present no problems. After fitting the new ones I found that both doors would not close fully on the latch side so had to grind the trailing edge slightly so it would latch.
I put this down to the new hinge being not as flexible as the old one and therefore it pushed the door further back than the old one but all is OK now.

Cheers Bill.
AnswerID: 585203

Our Sponsors