travelling around Australia

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 18:02
ThreadID: 128502 Views:3133 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, would like to know if it is better to travel west or east when travelling around Australia. We will be leaving from Victoria .Have heard wind and sun can pose a problem going north up the west coast? We have unlimited time.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Hob - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 19:31

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 19:31
Of course it is shorter to go anti clockwise as we drive on the left. LOL

In reality I don't think it matters. I have travelled across the Nullabor both directions and had a trailling wind each time. It is the luck of the draw. Coming down the WA coast I have felt head winds and also they changed and become following winds.

If you have the time just read the weather. If you are going to be travelling into a head wind just wait for a day or two and then go. Rain and heat are just as arbitrary. Having unlimited time you can pick and wait for weather.

Alan
AnswerID: 585280

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 20:38

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 20:38
WE agree with Alan

John and Jean
AnswerID: 585281

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 08:40

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 08:40
Hi Two Evos

You have to travel each way at some time if doing a "perimeter tour" :O

But North South is a better way. Stay south in the summer and north in the winter - depending on your time frame zigzag between the two a few times, getting in Central Australia when not too hot as well.

Don't hug the coast in WA - the inland is much more interesting, scenic and accommodating for travellers.

If you meet a strong headwind anywhere (and it can occur inland as well as near the coast), best way is to just stop - usually it is calm again come morning.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 585282

Our Sponsors