Rack for back of van

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 00:38
ThreadID: 128547 Views:3280 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Looking at engineering a rack for Accra the back of the van.
I have seen a few BTs with racks fitted.
Just working out the best way to fit a rack to the chassis and what others have done to attach?
Looking at using the rack for fuel cans and some firewood so only looking at about. 400mm wide and constructed out of aluminium security mesh still working on the support to the chassis.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Toga The Mist - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 01:55

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 01:55
Hi Laurie,
On my last BT I hat my fold up boat trailer rack mounted on rear. I have since updated my BT and no longer use this system,
My Rack was fabricated out of 50x50 RHS 2mm wall.and was heavy and over engineered, but the design was excellent
Unfortunatly I Have no photos but will give you the general idea.
If you look under the rear cutaway section of you BT you will notice there are two 50 mm beams running front to back, you would need to use heavy walled alluminium 50 x50mm RHS and have it Bent by someone thar can bend it properly, you would need 2x pieces one running up each 50 mm beam, these would sit on top of those 2 beams and would be bent at an angle that was horizontal and parallel to the ground, the would emerge immediately under your rear bumper an protrude out far enough to build on it your rack design.You would go down the existing beams around 600 mm and each bent beam would have 2 sets of lugs welded to the outside of each bent beam, one set of lugs toward the bottom of the bent beam and the other towards the top nearer to the bend. The lugs were drilled with half inch holes these lugs fitted snugly over BT beams
Which in turn were drilled to accommodate.
This all seems very convoluted but feel free to contact me if you need mor info.
John

Ps I have got an old photo might give you some idea,but will need an email address if you require.

AnswerID: 585377

Reply By: Toga The Mist - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 18:32

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 18:32
Hi Spanning,
Having trouble with emailing photos keeps bouncing, please confirm address.
john
AnswerID: 585378

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 22:51

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 22:51
G'day Laurie,

In the BOG Bible, under Towing Tips you will see my report on "Caravans and Trucks Sharing the Road". If you read this you will be aware ofImage Could Not Be Found the possible effects that adding weight to the rear and front of the van can have on stability, harmonic motion and inertia, even in a Bushtracker!.

Perhaps manufacturers should specify the maximum weight that can be added at a specified distance from the axles.

Take Care...............Rob
AnswerID: 585379

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 20:47

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 20:47
Hi Laurie,

I couldn't agree more with what Rob has said.

Back in 2001 when our van was new we had 2 extra water tanks fitted to our van and Steve at BTi insisted that they had to go behind the axle and not one in front and one behind like the workers wanted to do.

End result was that on our first trip after fitting these tanks we rolled the BT because of reduced ball weight.

After repairs and tanks fitted in front of axles as well as moving batteries forward we have had no more problems.

You mention in your post that you want to carry fuel on the rear of van. You should be aware that if fuel is carried on a trailer of any type, then it has to be INSIDE the confines of the trailer.
That means that it is unlawful to carry fuel in racks on the rear of a caravan and it can only be carried inside the A Frame area.
You could find your insurance void if a vehicle crashed into rear of van and a fire resulted.

My advice is Don't do it.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 854915

Our Sponsors