Fishing & camping Yorke Peninsular

Submitted: Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 23:35
ThreadID: 128549 Views:6806 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Woulld very much appreciate some info on good camping and fishing spots in SA, in particular
Around the Yorke Peninsular area. We have a tinny and ideally would like to set up some where
that would enable us to use the boat and hopefully catch a whiting or two.
Free camping would be good but not essential, just a nice spot to while away a month or so,
Any suggestions would be terrific.
Thanks John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Spydor - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 17:44

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 17:44
Hi John, If you have the camps 5 or 6 book you will find some fantastic spots. we have stayed at several in the area. One that sticks in my mind is Port Julia. Good for boat fishing, but if the weather is against you. there is reasonable fishing for whiting and blue swimmer crabs off the jetty. The town of Ardrossen, is just up the road and is a good place for a nice cheap lunch. Enjoy your trip!!!
Cheers Spydor & Robyn

p.s. not a "free camp" but very cheap.
Spydor
Everybody makes me happy! Some when they arrive, Some when they leave !!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 585381

Reply By: Finch's nest - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 23:12

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 23:12
Hi John,
Currently at Port Julia ,This is about our 5/ 6 trip . Arrived yesterday .Have not paid yet. Last year $35.00 per week.flush toilet ,bore water,no power.About 10 camps at the moment closest camp to us 30m .Have not done any fishing / crabbing yet.but have 5 blue swimmer crabs in the fridge, courtsey a fellow camper that we have never meet before. This is the kind of place it is .Want to know where to go what to do ? Just ask.Very friendly ,safe & secure. Whiting off the beach ,crabs,, off the pier or rake them ,squid ,gars are plentiful. But keep it to yourself do not want too many here.Warning. this are is extremely busy @ Easter,
we will be leaving early easter week

Regards CLIVE & JOAN.
AnswerID: 585382

Reply By: Fugly - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:04

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:04
So near... we live just 5km North of Yorketown... about where your ankle is on the inside of your right leg!!! I’m not a fisherman’s backside, but I can give a number of great spots to visit and/or stay. Some are not for fishing!

Anyway... DO NOT miss going down to “Innes National Park”, either as a day journey or as a destination to stay for a few days... has good facilities at various spots and may require booking. I have no idea of the costs... just check their website out at “http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/Find_a_Park/Browse_by_region/Yorke_Peninsula/Innes_National_Park “. Stop for a lunch at Marian Bay on the way too... some nice options for meals from a “snack cafe” to a nice “restaurant” just a short walk away!

There are some lovely beach and cliff spots along the journey north from Innes, and it is worth turning in to some coastal spots along the way... one popular spot is “Gleesons Landing” where a stay again for a few days is worth it. Just use your judgement on manoeuvrability at a few of the off-the-main-road sites... use googlemaps when you can.

Also if you have any interest in war history, pay a visit to “Bublacowie Military Museum” (link is "www.yorkeregion.com/bublacowie-military-museum/") and check it out... their phone contact is 08 8853 4379 and they're (generally) open Mon, Tues & Sun 10am ~ 4pm or by appointment... well worth a visit of a couple of hours... and don’t mind... it does seem to be in the middle of nowhere -along some lovely gravel roads with a few gums along the way.

A visit to the Troubridge Lighthouse is also worth a journey... only a few km past Edithburgh which is also a great place with a great jetty... and a great cafe/pizza spot! You cannot miss the Wind Farm just nearby... has an interesting “visitors centre” very close to “one giant windmill”. If you want to continue on from Troubridge Hill, the spot called McEacherns Beach is just fantastic, with a walk along the beach towards the lighthouse being one where you are often walking alone! Well worth it. An alternate is to drive down through Yorketown via a bitumen road all the way. The “Foodland” store at Yorketown is one of the best in the southern peninsula for food shopping... another is at Ardrossan.

A stopover at Minlaton is also well worth it if a “historical plane” called the Red Barron is of interest,... there is a great 5 ½ day bakery, a great chocolate shop (check times) and a brilliant Visitors Centre.

Point Turton is also a nice spot with a caravan park and jetty... generally has smooth water as long as the wind’s not from the North.

A visit to Stansbury and Port Vincent on the eastern side are not off the cards either.

Another “must see” is the “Port Victoria Maritime Museum”... it doesn’t look much from the outside, but be prepared for the surprise inside... found at “http://www.portvictoria.org.au/Maritimemuseum.html “... check the times.

The visit to “the copper triangle” at the top of the leg is worth it with the old copper mines and a great museum at “Moonta Mines” worthy of a visit. Check times once again... could take a few hours.

...and that’s just the Peninsula!!!

If you haven’t been there before, The Flinders Rangers has so much to offer from Crystal Brook, to Gladston, Laura, Melrose, Wilmington, Alligator Gorge (no BT there!) through to Quorn, Hawker, Wilpena Pound (an absolute must see!!!), Brachina and Parachilna Gorges (with “van in tow” and overnight spots) and on to the area around Arkaroola and the Gammon Ranges well worth their visit.

Also, the Barossa Valley and Clare Valley, both north of Adelaide and the “Southern Wine Region” south of Adelaide are worth a visit as is the River Murray right from Renmark down to the mouth at Goolwa.

Hope that gives you some places to contemplate... feel free to contact us if you wish.

Regards,

Craig and Jan
Alias, Fugly
AnswerID: 585383

Reply By: Toga The Mist - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 17:01

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 17:01
Wow,
Thanks to those who responded, I'm now armed with a wealth of information an will be heading off next week,hope to catch up with you on the road,much appreciated.
Velvet and John
AnswerID: 585384

Our Sponsors