caravan towing speed limits

Submitted: Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 22:47
ThreadID: 128560 Views:6717 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
What are the caravan towing speed limits for the various states - or are they all 100k/h now ?

Thanks,

Willie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SMICK - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 02:33

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 02:33
The speed limits are as they are posted along the road ie 110k on freeways. A few years ago the maximum speed for a vehicle towing a trailer was 80k.
Are you coming to the Muster in Alice.
Michael
AROUND AUSTRALIA AT 80 KAYS.
Bushtrackerly Yours
Michael Mnew
SMICK

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 585404

Reply By: Jeff&Narelle@Alice - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 03:55

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 03:55
Hi Michael
Are you sure about the speed limits. I thought you were limited to a max of 100km/h in the territory. You wouldn't want to tow at the speed limit on the Stuart Hwy anyway- 130km/h.
Regards
Jeff
AnswerID: 585405

Reply By: Willie - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 04:37

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 04:37
Hi Michael,

That is not right. The speed limits on the road in WA are often 110, but the max you can do wit a van is 100.

I am not sure what states have this 100 limit on vans though.

I will not be going to the Alice Springs Muster. I am spending June in WA gold prospecting, then scuttling home to avoid divorec.

Willie.
AnswerID: 585406

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 06:54

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 06:54
I don't know what speed BTi are putting on their compliance plate now but in 2001 it was 100kph so you are not permitted to go faster than what the manufacturer stipulated unless you can get it re-engineered.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 585407

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 07:26

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 07:26
I knew about the compliance plate - my 2006 model says the same.

That does not answer my question though.

Thanks Brian,

Willie.
FollowupID: 854919

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 07:37

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 07:37
A Google check came up with 100.

Speed limits in all countries

This web site shows speed limits for different types of vehicles in various countries, including when towing.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 854920

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 09:04

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 09:04
Brian,

Gees your keen Brian, I'll give you that.

But that info is wrong too because I know for a fact that NSW speed limits for towing a van are tha same as for a car without a van.
“There is no specific speed restriction while towing a trailer. However, the posted speed limits must not be exceeded.Always drive to the road,traffic and weather conditions.”
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/2005_10_towingtrailers.pdf

Surely someone from SA and Vic knows their state rules ( I know WA is 100 for towing as I was booked doing 114 with my camper on the back)

Thanks,

Willie
FollowupID: 854921

Reply By: Theywent Thataway - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 18:14

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 18:14
It is correct that NSW is the posted speed limit. Our BT 2011 on the compliance plate states that the tyres must have a speed rating at least equal to the manufacturers RECOMMENDED maximum operating speed of 100kmh. So from that I take it that you may exceed the 100 but it is not recommended.

Dave
the scruB ark...on The Way

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Fiamma Carry Bike for sale

AnswerID: 585408

Reply By: Willie - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 01:03

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 01:03
SPEED LIMITS

There’s every chance confusion reigns when it comes to what’s what with our speed limits.

The major caravan and camping industry associations have collaborated to produce the National Caravan and Recreational Vehicle Towing Guide to help clear up much of the confusion shared by the owners of around 400,000 registered caravans, campers and tent trailers.

However, a DVD recently released by Tow-Ed, a private firm offering driver education in most states and territories, is also a useful guide. The Australian Practical Guide to Towing is very worthwhile.

As with any regulations, speed limits don’t commandeer the driver’s common sense. They are always maximum speeds under ideal conditions, but towing is not considered an ideal condition. Nonetheless, drivers towing caravans generally must conform to regulatory speed signs. But there are some exceptions.

“NSW road rules set a maximum speed of 100km/h for a tow vehicle and caravan with a combined weight of more than 4500kg,” NSW Road Transport Authority’s Joanne Box said. As a matter of fact, this is the case nationally.

According to Qld’s Department of Transport and Main Roads (DTMR), towing requires additional driving skills and safety precautions, so drivers must drive to suit the conditions. The DTMR covers its concerns in A Safe Towing Information Booklet, available on its website.

WA goes beyond the national regulations. Out west, the maximum speed limit is either 100km/h or the posted limited, whichever is less – the weight of the caravan doesn’t matter.

The National Transport Commission’s Australian Road Rules offer another reason to watch your speed, specifying that a vehicle (or combination) longer than 7.5m (24ft 7in) must not travel closer than 60m to another vehicle, or no closer than 200m outside of built-up areas.

In terms of non-built-up areas, governments may recommend caravanners avoid towing in rough-road places like the Kimberley, but the choice is yours as long as you stay safe. The same goes for anywhere across the nation where you find roads not recommended for caravans – regardless of speed limits.

In addition, the Australian Road Rules advise that if the posted limit is more than 100km/h, and the vehicle and trailer have a combined Gross Vehicle Mass of more than 5000kg, the maximum speed limit remains 100km/h.

The upshot of all this is that travelling at less than 100km/h is not a bad policy. It saves lives – and fuel.

http://www.caravanworld.com.au/latest-reviews/article/articleid/79178.aspx
AnswerID: 585409

Reply By: aubs. - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 21:46

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 21:46
What a crack up, sorry fellas, I flat out doing the 100, let alone more. 95% of my time I am towing at 85kms, Trucks can pass me easily if I am doing this speed, they have 15 to 20kms more speed on their pedals.

However it is important to drive within the Laws limits,

I will offer some advice, dont drive at 100+ going from Meekatharra to Port Headland as sure enough you will encounter a lot of cattle. Last year when we started counting we got to 37 cattle road kills before we got to Auski Road house. At 100 you will not stop quick enough, and damage will occurr if either you hit one or swerve to miss the collision.

Enjoy the journey, travel safe and maybe we will meet one day for a cuppa.

Willie, good luck in the chase mate, Im heading over and up about the 16 April, Golden smiles be upon you.
AnswerID: 585410

Our Sponsors