freezing crab meat

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 06:08
ThreadID: 128562 Views:2612 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all ,
we will be travelling to SA Yorke pen. around easter time for a couple of weeks and hope to catch a feed or two of sand crabs (blue swimmers) we are looking to see if anyone has a way that works well to freeze the meat with out it turning to mush, we were told by a frequent visitor to SA that he has done it very well but never explained how . we are NOT looking to do 100s of kg but it would be nice to bring a little amount home with us
cheers Kev & Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Spydor - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 17:27

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 17:27
Hi Kev & Chris
We live in the heart of crab ( blue swimmer ) country in Dawesville, south of Perth. During the season we freeze crab on a regular basis. Don't try and freeze the whole crab, as they do go mushy. We cook the crabs, and then remove the crab meat from the shells. Place the meat in a zip lock bag or better still. Vac Pac it if you have the machine. Then place it in the freezer. Obviously, the meat is not as good as fresh crab when defrosted. But is still very nice, can be eaten as a sandwich or used in crab soups or "stir fry". Hope this helps !!!!!!!!!
Cheers Spydor & Robyn
Spydor
Everybody makes me happy! Some when they arrive, Some when they leave !!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 585411

Reply By: aubs. - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 20:48

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 20:48
With muddies I dont and wont freeze them cooked. I do have success breaking them apart and cleaning and freezing uncooked.

AnswerID: 585412

Our Sponsors