Hatch

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 06:15
ThreadID: 128571 Views:2808 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

I noticed that the 4 season hatch's have a deflector on the front now,
Any body with this still getting dust in, ?

Also our van is still being made, and am thinking about putting solar panels sideways across van, to may be deflect air flow over hatch.
Any body got panels that way ? What do you think.?

Cheers Ken

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: aubs. - Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 22:45

Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 22:45
Our panels are running length ways same as the van, Cross ways and I think you may have a cleaning problem and will need to use an extension handle to reach the far end of the panel, Width wise I dont think you will get 2 panels end to end, I think it would be longer than the width of the van, but I could be wrong on that.

Frankly I dont have any problems with the hatch, rain or dust, so no need to change what works on an BT in my opinion

AnswerID: 585428

Follow Up By: braggy - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 07:06

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 07:06
Good point about cleaning,
Was going to put them parallel, they are roughly 1500mmX 700mm ea so area covered would be about the same.

Mine is a 14'er pop top so things are abit unknown

Thank you Ken
FollowupID: 854931

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 04:57

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 04:57
Ken,

The 4 season hatches have always had opening on all 4 sides.
We have had our van since 2001 and it has travelled over 200,000Km.

Early on we were advised to put a piece of foam rubber inside the hatch to catch any dust as we were going to travel on some very dusty roads.
We did this and found that there was no dust on the foam so we took it out and found that no matter how dusty the roads are that we never get dust inside the van.

The only time we have had dust in is when the windows or vents have been open while camped and a dust storm has blown through.

As for changing the location of the solar panels from length way along the van I would also advise against it. The roof may look flat but it is slightly higher in the centre than the edges, so fitting would not be as neat or a practical.

The only thing that you need to consider with the fitting of the solar panels is the TV antennas that if fitted beside the solar panel will cast a shadow over the panel and reduce its efficiency considerably. TV antennas are not fitted by BTi so you will need to contact the installer about that.

BTi have been fitting solar panels lengthways for many years. It works so why try to get them to change something that works.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 585429

Follow Up By: braggy - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 07:00

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 07:00
Thanks Brian

Was worried about dust getting in, looks like no need.

Our van is only a 14'er, with poptop, so roof may be different.
but will put panels on length ways.

We rarely watch TV (never of a day), but with 3 panels and hatch, there is only one place for antenna left.

I will be fitting panels, regulator, batteries and anderson plug myself, their prices, and me being an electrician, was more than I could bare

Thanks again Ken
FollowupID: 854932

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 20:43

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 20:43
Ken,

There is not a lot to installing Solar panels, especially for an electrician. I fitted some on my tow vehicle and it was easy.

The first battery box I had in the van was only painted, and when one battery failed and acid went into the box it ate it's way through the base and was starting on the van's floor before I found it. The new box that I made is fully fibre glass lined in case of further failures, and it has a perspex lid to make it easy to check.

Will you have your van in time for the Alice Springs Muster?

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 854933

Follow Up By: braggy - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 00:47

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 00:47
Hi Brian
yeah will definately have acid proof box,
clear lid is a great idea, will be stealing that idea off you.

Should have van in about a month, but in Sept daughter (the princess) will be in The Kimberley with it.

Cheers Ken
FollowupID: 854934

Our Sponsors