Life on the road

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 02:09
ThreadID: 128575 Views:3475 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Jeff and I are thinking of hitting the road once the kids all leave home and my question is this. How much on the average would you need to live on if you spent most nights camping out (say 1 night per week at c/van park just to restock on water etc) and maybe did the occasional tourist attraction? It'll just be the 2 of us and maybe give us an estimate monthly or yearly. I know there are plenty out there living the life .....so what do you all reckon?
Regards,
Narelle and Jeff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SMICK - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 04:02

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 04:02
We very rarely stay in cp's, maybe 1 week a year. We did a rough calculation and we need, on average, around $600 per week. This figure takes in vehicle service, tyres, rego, insurance, same for van, food, grog, entertainment etc etc.
Michael
AROUND AUSTRALIA AT 80 KAYS.
Bushtrackerly Yours
Michael Mnew
SMICK

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 585436

Reply By: Jeff&Narelle@Alice - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 06:11

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 06:11
Thanks for that. It gives us a starting point then, it would be great to get back on the road for a while and kick back and enjoy life......without the teenages
AnswerID: 585437

Reply By: Spydor - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 19:43

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 19:43
Narelle & Jeff, Your question really is the proverbial "how long is a piece of string". To put that into context. The first time we did the round oz trip we took nearly 24 months. since then we have done the trip two times and covered the same distance in 6 months. Both trips cost approximately the same in fuel. If you have some sort of weekly income source. Obviously , the longer you stay in one place. The better the bank account looks. When planning a long trip now, we budget on $400.00 per thousand kilometres. this is a worst case scenario for fuel as we have had fuel costs in the desert of $2.65 per litre. That figure also allows for days where you are travelling into a very strong headwind, Or extremely hilly country. In most cases you will have money left over from your $400.00, But it is a good safety margin.( We tow an 18 ft b/t with a 200 series cruiser.
Cheers Spydor & Robyn
Spydor
Everybody makes me happy! Some when they arrive, Some when they leave !!

AnswerID: 585438

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 11:20

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 11:20
Hi Narelle and Jeff

As much or as little as your budget allows.

Fuel is usually the biggest necessary cost and you need to allow double this for maintenance and repairs. You amount of travel per day/week will be dictated by your budget.

Extras for tourist attractions such as entry fees, cruises and flights will be chosen to meet your budget and can vary between a few dollars for a country town museum to thousands of dollars for a cruise along the Kimberley coast.

In some areas you can travel for weeks without a caravan park. You can usually top up with water when you re-fuel but ask first. Many towns have public coin laundries. In more populated areas, free and low cost camping may not be so easy to find.

The Tips and Hints section of my website has hints about about Keeping Costs Down and the sub section on Trip Planning has costs of National Parks in each state.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 585439

Reply By: Jeff&Narelle@Alice - Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 19:50

Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 19:50
Thanks for all the replies. Maybe we'll catch up with you all at the Alice Springs BOG rally (we'll be there & looking forward to it).
Regards
Jeff & Narelle
AnswerID: 585440

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 03:45

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 03:45
G'day Narelle & Jeff,

Cost is about the same as living at home, (without the kids!).

Rob.
AnswerID: 585441

Reply By: Doug and Kim - Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 03:28

Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 03:28
If you find some work or odd jobs to do and get paid for it you can claim all costs and I mean ALL COSTS to get to the work as a tax deduction.......

www.bantacs.com.au read the article down the left side in purple
"advice for travelling workers "........ lots of paper work but it is well worth it........

any questions email us

kim n doug
AnswerID: 585442

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 19:44

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 19:44
Just go for it!

John and Jean

AnswerID: 585443

Follow Up By: Bobrovin - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 04:07

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 04:07
Hi John and Jean
Are you getting "Bluey" withdrawal symptoms yet
FollowupID: 854936

Follow Up By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 07:52

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 07:52
Sadly, when we took a months leave from the property, Bluey went back to his mates on the home property. Whilst in the garden he somehow found a bait (1080) and had to be destroyed. Must have been dropped by a crow or maybe regurgitated by a fox. Very sad.

I have been reduced to patting a 'tin' dog that was gaurding some 'tin' sheep in a display outside the Stonehenge Community centre. Later found a huge hound at the pub so had some serious face time with him.

Enjoying being back on the road again.... after two years on Lilyveil which was very enjoyable

Cheers John and Jean
FollowupID: 854937

Follow Up By: Bobrovin - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 22:08

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 22:08
Sorry to hear that
yes, very sad indeed

All the best with the future travels
FollowupID: 854938

Our Sponsors