Alice Muster

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 18:50
ThreadID: 128581 Views:4218 Replies:12 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Back in November I made a suggestion that the committee contact Ted Egan re entertainment at the Alice Muster.
Post ID 8488 Post Here

Did anyone manage to make contact and if so any joy?

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fugly - Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 19:04

Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 19:04
Missed the first request somehow... sounds like a good idea too!

Regards,

Craig & Jan
Alias... Fugly
AnswerID: 585451

Reply By: Just Croozin - Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 20:09

Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 20:09
Yes, Bob I did contact Ted Egan on 16 January 2013 explaining our intended visit, how we inject funds into local service providers/businesses and that our Committee determines any funds deemed to be in excess of the requirements for operation of the Association will be donated to a charity in the area of the Annual Muster - his response was he would do a relevant show - bush songs, yarns etc. the show would run for 45 - 75 minutes and his remuneration would be $1,500 which was presented to the Committee - the Committee deemed this to higher than was we anticipated and decided not to go ahead.

Regards
Dianne
Brian & Dianne
Just Croozin

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 585452

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 21:30

Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 21:30
Dianne,

Sounds like sensible committee decision to me. $1,500 is a heck of a lot for around a 1 hour show.
I guess he doesn't need the money.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 854942

Reply By: SMICK - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 02:51

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 02:51
Isnt this a subject that would be better discussed on the members forum?
Michael
AROUND AUSTRALIA AT 80 KAYS.
Bushtrackerly Yours
Michael Mnew
SMICK

AnswerID: 585453

Follow Up By: Turist - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 03:46

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 03:46
Yes, probably should be.
Lapse of concentration on a sleepy rainy day.
Get the administrator to shift the post if you like Mick

Bob
"Do It While You Can"

FollowupID: 854943

Follow Up By: Leigh & Mita - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 13:26

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 13:26
Dunno, probably a good idea to leave the post here. Good reason for people to join the BOG plus added incentive for those on the cusp of going to Alice to now go

Leigh
FollowupID: 854944

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 03:41

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 03:41
With 109 vans registered to date there could be more than 150 vans turn up and if there is two persons per van, the Ted Egan show price would be only $5 per head!

Could be worth reconsidering, although the committee is looking at other avenues for entertainment.

Agree this should be on the members forum.............Rob
AnswerID: 585454

Follow Up By: Fugly - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 07:07

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 07:07
Feel much the same Rob... not a lot of dollars for some potentially great entertainment... worth reconsidering if it is not too late in my opinion!

Regards,

Craig and Jan

Alias... Fugly
FollowupID: 854945

Reply By: aubs. - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 04:20

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 04:20
I would like to go but I wont know until the end of August so we maybe a fly by nighter couple.
AnswerID: 585455

Follow Up By: MEG & Capt Norty - Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 20:05

Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 20:05
I would like to add to the discussion. I have a muso friend (check him out:www.myspace.com/malcolmgladstone). He plays for for people just because he likes it. He and Mary go to PNG regularly (FOC) to conduct educational programs, and if his playing elicits a donation to assist with reading material and resources for PNG, then he accepts.

As my friend, Malcolm offered to come along to Alice and give us some entertainment; sing around the camp fire, etc. on any/every night if we wanted. He even offered to try and get his saxophonist friend to come along for the sessions. I thought this was a great idea. However, I am advised by the committee, that as they do not have a BT, they cannot come in their Adria van.

So there you go, a great offer for nightly professional entertainment at no cost, and we can't take advantiage of it. Pity.
Margaret Gill
BOG Secretary
Margaret & Norton

FollowupID: 854946

Reply By: BushBoss - Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 21:59

Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 21:59
Hello Margaret

unless i am missing something i think that this offer by your muso friend Malcom is too good to pass up. I cant see any difference between a service provider (eg caterer)or sponsor who turns up in their non Bushtracker van to display their wares or provide a service.

Malcom would be there to provide entertainment for the group. Surely provision can be made and a area set aside for sponsors or service providers while they are at the Muster. Alternatively make them a sponsor for the duration of the muster and they can donate their entertainment.

In regards to Ted Egan, the breakdown cost of $5 per head sounds like good value. Maybe those attending could let the committee know if they would be prepared to pay that amount for a one of show.

Regards
Lance
AnswerID: 585456

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 01:49

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 01:49
I agree with Lance 150%. At Quorn we had the Hitch Ezy supporter there in a non-Bushtracker caravan and no-one saw that as a problem.

Margaret's muso friend is also a supporter by giving his time to supply music.

One of my reason's for resigning as secretary was all the politics in the committee and I think that those members who rejected this offer need to wake up to themselves.

If things like this continue it will be the end of the club.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 854947

Reply By: Turist - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 03:41

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 03:41
When I was President we had a number of non BT owners request that they be allowed to attend the Muster and bring their vans.
Purpose of their visit was to speak with owners and inspect vans with a view to purchasing a BT.

This was allowed on a few occasions, only restrictions were that could not attend any official functions.
They also camped on the fringe of the group.
It gave no problems at that time and correctly handled should give no problems now.
A rather strange decision in this case I think.

With regard to Ted Egan the $5.00 charge is one suggestion but with the current financial position of the group I can't see a reason for that either.
You would need to nail Ted Egan down to a fixed appearance time however, 45 minutes would be too short for that money.
After all, the first consideration when using member funds should be to give benefit to the members.
The charities will do well enough from the raffles, auctions etc.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 585457

Reply By: MEG & Capt Norty - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 08:07

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 08:07
It is great to see members eager to offer their opinion. This subject has been shifted to the Members Forum, so please log in and give us your opinion.

The decision by the committee was only in response to the Quorn recommendations.

So log into Members Forum and read further.
Margaret
BOG Secretary.
Margaret & Norton

AnswerID: 585458

Reply By: Trakka - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 22:09

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 22:09
I too feel that it would be great entertainment by Ted Egan and also Captain Norty's friend Malcolm. If you want to average the costs of the two entertainers then it seems to come out at about $2.50 per head!!

Much praise must go to the committee for all their hard work and efforts getting this anniversary muster up and going, I'm sure it will be a great show enjoyed by all attendees.

Let's hope it is not too late to arrange for the suggested entertainers.

Cheers,
Peter G
Trakka
AnswerID: 585459

Reply By: Boystoy - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 07:46

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 07:46
If Ted Egan came to your local RSL or community hall to perform, how much would you pay to see and hear a Great Australian, a National Treasure, A fighter for Aboriginal rights, who can communicate with them in their own language, A great songwriter, storyteller and performer.
In these circumstances, $50.00 would be cheap, and the hall would be filled!
$1500 for a 75 minute performance is cheap for this level of talent.
A nominal fee of $5 per head would be a bargain!
This is a one-off opportunity to hear a great Australian. And if there is a shortfall in the total of the $5 fee, the BOG is financial-enough to make up the difference.
BE BRAVE GO FOR IT COMMITTEE !!!!

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 585460

Reply By: Jars on tour - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 02:28

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 02:28
We fully agree with Boystoy's comment and would really look forward to seeing Ted Egan's performance. We think it would be great value for money as not all of us get the opportunity to experience a great entertainer of his calibre.

Cheers

Jar & Pam
Too heavy, Too fast, Too much pressure, One In a thousand.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 585461

Reply By: SMICK - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 03:02

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 03:02
This post is continued in the MEMBERS FORUM.
AROUND AUSTRALIA AT 80 KAYS.
Bushtrackerly Yours
Michael Mnew
SMICK

AnswerID: 585462

Our Sponsors