Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 00:55
ThreadID: 128618 Views:7549 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
In the next few weeks planing on doing the Great Central Road fromYalara to
Leonora ,then doing a right hand turn and heading North.
QUESTION ONE . Do i need permits, passes.If so, where is the best place to get them.Or do you just go and hope for the best?.

Before getting to Yalara,thinking of having a look around Gawler Rangers.Coming in from the south end and eventually heading up to Kingoonya.Then turning right heading to Glendambo on the Stuart Highway.
QUESTION TWO. Any one have any information on the track from the National Park up between lakes Gairdner & Everad .Preferably Via Yardea, Moonaree Kokatha. Stations road .
Any help on these two would be appreciated.

Regards Clive & Joan.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 07:01

Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 07:01
When we did it a few years ago we had to get a permit from the Central Land Council in Alice Springs and you were supposed to get one for the WA end also but we didn't
On reaching the check point where you pay to go to the rock, we just showed them the permit and said we were going on Great Central Road and not to the rock so no fee was payable.

At that time the NT section was very rough and the WA side good apart from some severe washouts, so if there has been rain keep the speed down in case there are wash outs.

Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 585547

Reply By: tinashaw52 - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 01:29

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 01:29
You may find this site on ExploreOz helpful:

It has sections on which permits you need and has links to the appropriate bodies to obtain them online. They are free.

We will be travelling that way later this year too.
AnswerID: 585548

Follow Up By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 23:35

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 23:35
Permits?.....Just a bit of beaurocratic nonsense IMHO No one will look at them or make any checks.

The NT side is usually badly corrugated and usually pretty good. They have had rail in the last months so beware for any rain damage on the roads.

FollowupID: 854975

Follow Up By: tinashaw52 - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 23:03

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 23:03
Given that the permits are free and easily obtained over the internet, why not get them? Then you have peace of mind about being asked for them, however remote a prospect.

Additionally, if you don't want to stop at Yulara in the Territory start of your trip, by producing your pass will allow you to travel through the national park without having to pay for a park entry permit. Produce your travel permit and say you are travelling through, and they let you go without an entry fee.

If you are staying at Yulara then of course you must pay the entry fee.
FollowupID: 854976

Reply By: Pixellator - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 04:53

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 04:53
Finchs Nest

When are you traveling the GCR?

I just did my permits today, starting from the NT end on 6 May.

If you're going before then I'd appreciate an update on road conditions etc.

AnswerID: 585549

Our Sponsors