Mobile internet and email

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 20:11
ThreadID: 128656 Views:7337 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I have written two extensive documents which provide tips and set up instructions on -

* Email for travellers
* Creating a local wifi hotspot (with external aerial)

I have also updated an earlier document "Installing a 2nd fridge fan", and added a new document titled "Adding a 'draw tap' for remote camping".

These are available for download HERE - I will add these also to Members section in due course after any redrafts.

Comments welcome.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 21:29

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 21:29
Good one Phil,

We have a program called "Conectify-me" running on my computer. This serves as a mobile hotspot and we can run a number of out devices from it.wirelessly ie a second computer and a tablet.

There is a limited 'free version' but the main module is about $25 per year or $40 for lifetime connectivity.

My daughter found the program (she works in the industry) and Jean has loaded it up on my computer. So this is second hand info - but it works. Try Mr Google

Regards John
AnswerID: 585637

Reply By: aubs. - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 06:14

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 06:14
We use a Dlink Pocket router this creates our hotspot, we plug in the usb modem dongle and run 2 tablets, 2 mobile phones and a laptop with out any problems.

It has its own inbuilt rechargeable battery so if the signal is week I take the router and dongle outside and jam up an extendable pole about 5m and the signal increased about 2 bars.

It works a treat.
AnswerID: 585638

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 22:18

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 22:18
We also have an antenna with a five metre lead and magnetic base - works for both internet and phone signals with an increase of about 2 bars. You just need to buy a small aptch lead to suit each appliance available in Telsta and similia type mobile phone shops.

John
AnswerID: 585639

Reply By: Fugly - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 07:44

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 07:44
Hello Phil and Lorraine,

Thanks for the info... much appreciated.

Regards.

Craig and Jan
Alias... Fugly
AnswerID: 585640

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 23:45

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 23:45
Further to this, have now added an additional document "Managing Files and Photos" which essentially provides tips on setting up Dropbox cloud storage so that you can easily access any of your PC documents and files remotely.

If you are running multiple PC's (eg a desktop PC at home, and a laptop for travel) these will remain automatically in synch.

AND finally how to sort, manage and backup your photos to cloud storage - when you finally get home and turn on your PC, they will 'magically' download automatically to your local hard drive in pre-named folders.
AnswerID: 585641

Our Sponsors